Thread: 2 flute vs 4 flute Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Another good point.

Even with 2 flute I prefer to ramp in if possible. Old habit ... hard to break ... but seems like there's less crud burned onto the tip. But 90% of the 'wood' I was routing was MDF. And I got lazy after awhile and just ran with what CAM spit out by default.

Cute term I heard 40 something years ago, regarding aluminum welding on an EM with a too aggressive plunge. Leaves a couple 'strings' flowing up and out of the flutes. 'Pronghorn'ing'.

I use ramping, too, Wes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I haven't changed the speed on my spindle in years, it runs at 18,000 rpm. My most used bit is a 1/4" compression and I cut mainly hardwoods - Walnut, Maple, Cherry - but often cut 1/2" Baltic Birch ply when I make fixtures or cut Longworth chucks. When I cut the 1/2" BB it's a single pass at full depth and 175 ipm. I'm creating chips, not dust, and the bit is cool enough to the touch that I can cut with it and remove it with my bare hands moments after stopping for a bit change. My second most used bit is a 1/8" downcut spiral and it also runs at 18k with a feed rate of 75 ipm. I could raise the feed rate but typically don't. It also produces chips, not dust.

I realize this contradicts what many of you have said but this is what's working for me and I get good results with these settings.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram