Thread: No budget, but...

No budget, but...

I don't know if this is the right forum or not for this.
    My school is adding some space, and one room is designated as a design/workshop space. I'm making lists of what we need to make the room into a woodworking space (tools, benches, dust control, electrical, etc.)
    Right now, I have no funds available so I'm searching for solutions. Does anyone know if any organizations or tool companies will donate funds or tools to promote student woodworking? Maybe grant money?
    -Dan

Harbor Freight has a school grant program. I've not seen that from other entities, but there's no harm in soliciting them. Regardless, budget will still come into play because some things still have to be dealt with relative to power and safety, even if you can get lots of donations of 'stuff'. Check to see if your state/province has any STEM grants available, too. Many schools are offering "maker" type environments that include both subtractive (CNC, traditional woodworking, etc) and additive (3D printing) activities because that's where the world is at this point. Local donations/funding/sponsorship may also be an avenue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

High school?

Who has qualifications?

Not sure if this is paywalled (https://www.mercurynews.com/2024/02/...nging-it-back/) but seems similar to what you are trying to do - from the article:

Manasewitsch spent months networking with local woodworking clubs, rotary groups, retired teachers and even supply stores to collect enough tools, funding and mentorship to revive the program by the first day of school this past August, when roughly 100 students enrolled in the four inaugural woodshop “sections.”

I would check as to whether you need a PEng involved in dust collection design as well as prestart machine verifications.

There is a lot of liability in school shop settings, you should check with local authorities

That said, I’m glad you’re trying to get a shop class built.

Thanks, I'll check with HF.

Blog Entries
    I see quite a few on line auctions where small schools and correctional institutions are selling all of the Industrial Arts tools. The location is often a deal breaker. The tools are usually old and made in the USA. Several lots have gone for surprisingly low prices.

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/2...quip.-Oklahoma
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-04-2024 at 6:57 AM.

I hate to say it, but you'll find it at least 10X easier to raise money and support for a computer-oriented facility-- 3d printers, laser cutters, CNC routers. There's a much bigger pool of potential donors and a lot more interest on the kids part, as well as much greater receptivity in the schools. The good news is that it is sort of a gateway drug-- the kids eventually figure out that they want to do more than they can with those tools, creating an opening for more traditional tools.

Check local woodworking clubs or guilds. Both clubs local to me have made gifts to local high schools.

You better check the school district's insurance budget first! Personally, I think small CNC routers, laser cutter/engravers, and 3D printers would hold the kids interest more than more traditional machinery. I'm always surprised when people don't start with a Google search. school wood shop grants will bring you some contact information
    Last edited by Richard Coers; Yesterday at 7:24 PM.

Thanks to all. Responding to several at once:
    We're a private (Lutheran) school, so school districts and their requirements don't apply. I'll be talking with our insurance as we get farther along. Right now we're just beginning the building expansion, so it'll probably be March or April before we've got a shop to put tool into.

Thanks for the advice about googling for grants. That should have been obvious...

There is a small woodworkers' group. They've given me some advice, but I don't expect any monetary help there.

I'm keeping an eye out for estate sales. But I'm in Anchorage, Alaska, and the pickings are slim. The school district here got rid of all their shop equipment and tools years ago. Old is OK if it still works. Heck, I'm old and I still work. I'm still using some planes I inherited from my father and grandfather.

I'd love to get a CNC or two. I'd like to try one out myself. But my first aim is to equip the room with screwdrivers, hammers, tape measures...drills and saws...drill presses and bandsaws.
    For several years I've been introducing grade-schoolers to tools and woodworking. We use a lot of power tools, but for some the biggest fascination is seeing that a hand plane or chisel and their own muscle can peel off a curl of wood. Or they can put a hole in a piece of wood by cranking on my old brace and bit.

Qualifications: Not my department. Once we have a shop to teach shop in, the administration will need to find a qualified shop teacher. Since our expansion plans include a room for shop and design, and I'm they only guy on staff who does woodworking, and it's a personal interest, I volunteered myself to see about getting it equipped.

Again, thanks for the advice.