Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Professionals given no credit on forums..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    You are self aware enough to know what your limitations are and what to do to learn more from "experts" in the field.
    I have had the privilege of interacting with some true experts. Professionals. And insanely smart people (Nobel prize winning level). The level of knowledge seems to be inversely proportional to what they purport to understand.

Meaning the smarter or more knowledgeable they are, the more they highlight just how little they know. Ultimately all they talk about is just how little understanding there is on complex/difficult subjects. And they include their own limited understanding in that.

Which word is used (expert vs professional vs guru vs zen master... doesnt really matter imo). One of my fav quotes:

The fish trap exists because of the fish. Once you've gotten the fish you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning. Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him? ― Zhuangzi

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post

The fish trap exists because of the fish. Once you've gotten the fish you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning. Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him? ― Zhuangzi
    I hadn't heard that one before, very good

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    I have had the privilege of interacting with some true experts. Professionals. And insanely smart people (Nobel prize winning level). The level of knowledge seems to be inversely proportional to what they purport to understand.

Meaning the smarter or more knowledgeable they are, the more they highlight just how little they know. Ultimately all they talk about is just how little understanding there is on complex/difficult subjects. And they include their own limited understanding in that.

Which word is used (expert vs professional vs guru vs zen master... doesnt really matter imo). One of my fav quotes:

One of Professor Dr. SWMBO's "partners in crime" back when she was involved in research relative to Hep-B and Liver Cancer was indeed an actual Nobel Prize winner. What you described was absolutely him in every way. I only met him once, but even that single interaction was so enjoyable.

I agree with Edward about the quote. Outstanding perspective.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's because they are smart enough to know what they don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    That's because they are smart enough to know what they don't know.
    The opposite of Dunning-Kruger

The opposite of Dunning-Kruger
    no, it's just part of the curve.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    no, it's just part of the curve.
    The opposite end

The opposite end
    Knowing enough that you're aware of what you might not know.. is in the middle of the curve. Confidence, amongst actual experts, is again high.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I remember a conversation that I had with Chris Hall where we were discussing a cabinet that he had made and documented on his blog, he mentioned how a very visible part of the cabinet was a very complex puzzle for those not familiar with the construction, and how he purposely never explained how it was done. No one questioned it, which he found curious. I told him that it is lonely at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    I remember a conversation that I had with Chris Hall where we were discussing a cabinet that he had made and documented on his blog, he mentioned how a very visible part of the cabinet was a very complex puzzle for those not familiar with the construction, and how he purposely never explained how it was done. No one questioned it, which he found curious. I told him that it is lonely at the top.
    They we're probably afraid of sounding stupid asking the question.
    There is no shame in not knowing something, if you don't ask, you don't learn

I was fortunate enough to work with a number of Nobel laureates during my brief academic career. I found all of them humble, and approachable.

My favorite encounter was with a Nobel Laureate in Biology (I didn't know that at the time), who I met early in my freshman year at MIT in a Biology Dept mixer. I started talking to this gentleman, and asked him about his research. He went into some detail about reverse transcriptase (an enzyme that converts RNA into DNA). After listening intently, and trying to understand it, I asked him "How has your research panned out?" He looked at me, kind of quizzically, and said that, "The people in Stockholm seemed to like it." Even dumb freshman that I was, I realized that he had won the Nobel Prize in Medicine. OMG!! As I tried to slink away feeling like an idiot, he was amused enough by our conversation that he offered to be my biology department advisor, which I readily took him up on. I found every interaction with him to be great. Warm, entertaining, and truly concerned with my well-being, education, and future.

I have a number of similar stories with Nobel laureates that I embarrassed myself in front of (strangely, this turned out to be a strange talent of mine).

Every one of them, I would suggest, would be considered a true World's expert. And these experts were all a pleasure to speak with. And I'm pretty sure that it didn't hurt me to have letters of recommendation on my behalf written by Nobel laureates. For this I am eternally grateful.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

No shame in not knowing.
    My point is the higher that you climb, the more that you know in your given profession, the less people there are that understand what you understand, therefore the less people that you can have a "conversation" with. Sure you can talk to anyone always, you can talk to people who run three miles, or five miles, or ten, but if you run a marathon, the only people that can understand running a marathon are people who have run a marathon.

When you achieve something that is exceptional, that is the highpoint of your 25 year career, and you are blown away at what you have accomplished, and post it online for the world to see...............and nobody notices......welcome to woodworking.

If you are in sports world, you get a $100,000,000 dollar contract. Science you get the Nobel prize. Life.

They we're probably afraid of sounding stupid asking the question.
    There is no shame in not knowing something, if you don't ask, you don't learn

No shame in not knowing.
    My point is the higher that you climb, the more that you know in your given profession, the less people there are that understand what you understand, therefore the less people that you can have a "conversation" with. Sure you can talk to anyone always, you can talk to people who run three miles, or five miles, or ten, but if you run a marathon, the only people that can understand running a marathon are people who have run a marathon.

When you achieve something that is exceptional, that is the highpoint of your 25 year career, and you are blown away at what you have accomplished, and post it online for the world to see...............and nobody notices......welcome to woodworking.

If you are in sports world, you get a $100,000,000 dollar contract. Science you get the Nobel prize. Life.

Well said and very true!
    Norman Pirollo Furniture Maker + Educator

No shame in not knowing.

Okay, different meaning than I was thinking but you're correct of course.
    This phenomenon is becoming more and more common these days. No longer do you need to have 25 years or so in your field and be at dizzying heights of your profession for people to not understand you. It seems to me that the bar is much lower than that these days.

With the internet making everyone an instant expert on everything, many people can't differentiate between the inert knowledge often presented to them and actual depth of knowledge select few have. This goes back to the OP's point, professionals given no credit.
    Pursuing further knowledge is often looked at negatively, or just disregarded" why do I need to know that, the next time I need info, I'll just google it, then I'll be an expert/professional too."
    This is the destruction of critical thinking.

JMHO

With the internet offering instant access to information, there's a misconception that mere surface-level understanding equates to true expertise. This undermines the years of dedication and hard work professionals put into mastering their craft. Critical thinking is indeed eroded when people opt for quick fixes rather than engaging in deep learning and understanding. As professionals, it's crucial to persevere in our pursuit of knowledge and expertise, despite the prevailing trends. Educating others about the value of specialized knowledge and critical thinking is key to combating this destructive mindset.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i