Thread: Lie Nielsen Socket Chisels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Time will tell, those two above were fitted as just a few weeks ago.

Were your handles fitted?

I've made a lot of handles for socket chisels, both antique and modern. The antique chisels with the rough interior sockets hold a handle well - I never had one come loose. I did have trouble with the LN chisels which I made new handles for (the stock handles are too short).

Regarding fitting the handle to the socket, there should be small "gap" between the large part of the handle and the top of the socket. Over time, as you use the chisel (and pound on it) the wood will compress and the handle will go further into the socket. If you don't leave a gap, the large part of the handle starts to mushroom, or the handle gets loose.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I've made a lot of handles for socket chisels, both antique and modern. The antique chisels with the rough interior sockets hold a handle well - I never had one come loose. I did have trouble with the LN chisels which I made new handles for (the stock handles are too short).

Regarding fitting the handle to the socket, there should be small "gap" between the large part of the handle and the top of the socket. Over time, as you use the chisel (and pound on it) the wood will compress and the handle will go further into the socket. If you don't leave a gap, the large part of the handle starts to mushroom, or the handle gets loose.

Mike
    I wonder if using a punch to dimple the inner surface of the chisel socket would help.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I wonder if using a punch to dimple the inner surface of the chisel socket would help.
    I've tried scratching the inside of the socket but didn't seem to make any difference. But maybe my scratches were not deep enough.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Time will tell indeed, there is no rule set in stone, lots of variable at play.
    Here are a few things the OP and possibly others might find useful.
    https://paulsellers.com/2014/03/sock...ls-turn-loose/
    shoulder gap.jpg
    https://www.finewoodworking.com/2014...-socket-chisel
    Socket Sketch.jpg