Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stumpy Nubs Video - Do you flat or hollow grind?

Stumpy Nubs Video - Do you flat or hollow grind?

Do you flat or hollow grind your tools and why? The video below makes a compelling case for hollow grinding. I've been doing a combination of the two methods without regard to which method is necessarily better; primarily flat grinding chisels while hollow grinding woodturning gouges. Having just purchased a belt sander I thought to flat grind some gouges to see if I could tell the difference. I was also planning a similar comparison by hollow grinding some chisels.

You did just start a sharpening thread, so hang on.

IMO, neither makes a difference in the actual cutting of the wood.
    The difference is in the sharpening and re-sharpening.
    Much of this depends on the tool being sharpened but to each his own.
    I sharpen a flat bevel and haven't had a need to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post

IMO, neither makes a difference in the actual cutting of the wood.
    The difference is in the sharpening and re-sharpening.
    Much of this depends on the tool being sharpened but to each his own.
    I sharpen a flat bevel and haven't had a need to change.
    Ronald Kanne (woodturner) in one of his sharpening videos stated that he can feel the difference between a gouge that is flat versus hollow ground sharpened. His preference is the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Ronald Kanne (woodturner) in one of his sharpening videos stated that he can feel the difference between a gouge that is flat versus hollow ground sharpened. His preference is the latter.
    The difference is subtle but definitely noticeable with gouges and skews. I don't see any reason to prefer one over the other but if you are accustomed to turning with one type then the other type doesn't feel exactly right.

I've hollow ground for over 50 years.

taught hollow ground by cabinetmakers. One aspect right off the bat is there are two points to rest the bevel on when honing, makes it easy and maintains the same angle.

Always flat. But I've bought tools that were hollow ground, and I didn't care enough to change them. I just use them and let them migrate to flat ground over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I can feel the difference too but most turning tools are typically sharpened with a hollow grind (straight off the grinder).
    I was referring to chisels and plane irons

Whatever is faster, I have a hard time finding the time to sharpen. I use my Tormek for almost everything, so hollow.

I also hollow grind most everything except my Japanese chisels. They are very easy to sharpen and the steel is very precious.
    The carving knives I use are repurposed pocket knives so hollow grinding makes them easier to sharpen on the stones. Just the same principle as plane blades.
    Hollow grinding has been taught way before the internet YouTubers were born.
    Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Sharpening threads remind me of threads about musical instruments. Which sounds better, a $500 guitar or a $5000 guitar?

Find a method that works for you and use it. Which method is best? Best is subjective. Just a matter of personal opinion.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Sharpening threads remind me of threads about musical instruments. Which sounds better, a $500 guitar or a $5000 guitar?
    Tone is in the fingers!!!

But really, there's some truth to that, that carries over to what we're talking about. For instance, if you can't sharpen a plane iron by hand very well, but can on a Tormek, then you'll always get better results with a hollow grind. And if your only grinder just has one coarse wheel and you're pretty good with sharpening by hand, or with a jig, you'll always get better results with a flat grind. What matters most in this equation is the user, not the method or tools.

In reality, it's only the last few microns of the edge that matter since they're the only ones doing the cutting. What happens behind that doesn't really affect how the tool works. So hollow vs. flat... it doesn't matter, because neither are part of the cutting edge, unless you're hollow grinding off a very small diameter wheel that significantly affects the angle of the cutting edge. What really matters is your skills with the tools you have available.

If you ever go for a hike in the woods, make sure to bring a pocket knife. That way, if you get lost, you can take out the knife and start sharpening it. Pretty soon, someone will come along to tell you you're doing it wrong.

$250 Ibanez,Peavey Valve King amp. lol