Thread: Bishop #10 Adjustable Back Saws Type Study

Bishop #10 Adjustable Back Saws Type Study

This is a rough type study of the Bishop #10 adjustable backsaw. Patented twice by Fred Wuest. First patent was #607107 (July 12, 1898) and the second was #809485 (Jan 9, 1906). The first patent was assigned to George H. Bishop & Co Lawrenceburg Indiana. Bishop was based in Cincinatti Ohio. Started business in 1882 to 1899 in Cincinatti and then from 1899 to 1920 in Lawrenceburg. In 1920 Bishop was merged with the Ohlen & Sons Saw Mfg. of Columbus Ohio.
    Note that all the different types are still basically the same saw. Only small details are different. They all function the same. The first patent used a saw plate sharpened on both edges. They indicate that it was preferred on side be rip and the other crosscut. There are also teeth on the end referred to as the "rack". These unsharpened teeth engage the back preventing the blade to slip. The second patent shows a screw that would engage the rack and make fine adjustments. This feature has not been seen (yet). The majority of saws seen are type #3 with a Jan 6, 1906 patent date stamped on the back. Disston also made a similar saw. Patented by William Smith #1085503 (Jan. 27, 1914). To get around the Wuest patent, they changed the blade by eliminating the rack and put a thumbscrew to secure the blade. Made in similar sizes as the Bishops.

Type #1 (bottom) and #3 (top)

Type 1 and 3.jpg Type 1 Handle.jpg

The type 1 saw was made for E.C. Simmonds. Originally the back and blade were both blued. There are no markings on the back. The handle has three notable features. On the left side there is a wheat carving that starts at the bottom and goes up. It is also over the locking lever. (Later types only have on stalk on the grip, starting in the middle and then going to the top and bottom). Next feature is the locking lever. It has a tab that sticks out. Later types used a flat style. Last is a stamping at the bottom of the handle the reads "Patent Applied For". No other indications that Bishop made this saw. A similar saw was shown in a Keen Kutter catalog as the No. 97.

Type #2. Leaving this available. There should be some saws made under the first patent with the Bishop name before the 1906 patent.

Type #3. There is now a name stamp on the back, two lines, Geo. H. Bishop & Co and Pat. Jan. 9 - 06. There is also an etching on the blade but usually this is worn off. On the right side of the handle, towards the bottom is the patent date of 9-06. Note this saw has the flat lever for locking the blade.

Type #3 handle

Type 3 Handle.jpg

Type #4 handle

Type 4 Handle.jpg

Type #4 has a larger font on the back and no patent on the handle.

Comparison of types #3 & #4 backs

Type 3 and 4 Back Stamps.jpg

Types #5 and #6 Main differences are in the back markings. The #5 does not have the Bishop name on the back. The #6 now includes the Lawrenceburg address.

#5 (bottom #6 Top

Type 5 and 6.jpg

Some handles in this time period have replaced the short screw where the back slides in, with a two piece design like a regular saw nut.

Here are a few handles showing damaged areas.

Broken Handles 1.jpgBroken Handles 2.jpg

Additional notes. Here is a closeup of a good etch.

Bishop Etch.jpg

Walnut replacement handle

Walnut Handle 1.jpgWalnut Handle 2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Interesting, who would have thought of there being so much variation in a saw one doesn't often see?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Got me to looking...
    Bishop No. 10, hanging up.jpg
    hanging there, between the Jackson Backsaw, and the Disston D8 Panel saw..
    Bishop No. 10, handle Hardware.jpg
    Handle hardware.slotted screw is just that...a #12 wood screw..
    Bishop No. 10, Patent date.jpg
    There IS a Patent date on this side of the handle..9-06
    Bishop No. 10, Lighter view.jpg
    A Cincinnati, Hand Made saw. Patent date on the bar.

Age?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Got me to looking...
    Bishop No. 10, hanging up.jpg
    hanging there, between the Jackson Backsaw, and the Disston D8 Panel saw..
    Bishop No. 10, handle Hardware.jpg
    Handle hardware.slotted screw is just that...a #12 wood screw..
    Bishop No. 10, Patent date.jpg
    There IS a Patent date on this side of the handle..9-06
    Bishop No. 10, Lighter view.jpg
    A Cincinnati, Hand Made saw. Patent date on the bar.

Age?
    Age between 1906 and 1920

Thanks Eric. I found mine at a flea market in Kentucky many years ago. I'd never seen anything like it at the time. I sharpened it up and put it to work. It was a clever idea, but a bit clunky in practice. It found a new home in the great tool purge of 2019. Then one popped up at the local antique mall. Only the second I'd ever seen, it was like brand new and still had the box. It was priced as though it was made of gold. So I guess that meant there were at least two in existence. Last year we were walking an antique mall in Edinburgh, IN and on the wall hangs four of them. I guess there's more than two out there
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.