Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: California bans the SALE of gas lawn mowers and leaf blowers after 2024

Studies say the lawn is arguably the largest irrigated crop in the US, with more acreage than the the next eight crops combined (corn, wheat, cotton, etc.).

Pumping water is the largest single use of electricity in California, although most of that goes to agriculture.

Most of these laws are made by pols who live in gated communities thinking everyone lives like they do. Battery power is great for some but just not a solution for others. I couldn't even guess at how many batteries it would take to mow my yard. I mow it because anything that grows unchecked is a haven for ticks. What I really laugh about is CA ban also includes generators. I'm wondering how that will work.

Is red lava Pumice rock a thing outside California where there are mountains of it for sale cheap?
    In Southern California there are companies who will come out and spray paint your gravel red, white, black or green.
    Bill D

The ban is on the sale of the gasoline powered gear, not the use, folks.

----

That said, when I replace my ZTR in the future, it will be the last piece of lawn/landscaping gear I have that is still gas powered. I prefer the battery power, already went that way with everything else, and that's what I'll cut the grass with down the road, too. The only reason I've not done that yet is because what I have is paid for (in 2005) and I don't spend a huge amount of time mowing anymore, either. Major brand (example EGO) battery operated lawn mowers have "yuge" run times so I have no concerns about "battery life and charging". In the shops of the local purveyors of landscaping gear, the balance between gas/diesel powered gear and battery gear has taken a noticeable shift in the last year or so and yes, I'm talking about pro gear.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

IMO,
    Currently, Battery is good up to about 10 hp. The big gap between 10 and 25 is where all the problems will occur, like the above mentioned generators and other machines that are needed for things other than simply cutting grass.
    Sawmills
    log splitters
    chainsaws
    stump grinders
    PHD's
    and on and on

No batteries for me. My lawn is about four and a half acres so I use a 35HP gas (really fast) mower. I have nineteen large mature trees in my yard plus five other buildings and ditches along two sides of the property. Way to much area to cover with a battery weed eater. My woods row along one side of the property is about one and a half acres.

How will we recycle millions and millions of lithium batteries every year in the future? Someone must have a plan....

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Most of these laws are made by pols who live in gated communities thinking everyone lives like they do. Battery power is great for some but just not a solution for others. I couldn't even guess at how many batteries it would take to mow my yard. I mow it because anything that grows unchecked is a haven for ticks. What I really laugh about is CA ban also includes generators. I'm wondering how that will work.
    Ditto. I live in the Pigeon River State Forest, and it is necessary to keep a yard mowed for ticks. Check out Permethrin. I buy a quart of concentrate every couple of years, mixes 50/1. I spray around the perimeter once a season, Keep a spray bottle on the porch to spray my boots occasionally. You don't have to use it often, can even put a splash in the laundry for work cloths, and will last for ten washings. Ticks can mess you up, and this stuff is not all that bad. Its approved for organic gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    No batteries for me. My lawn is about four and a half acres so I use a 35HP gas (really fast) mower. I have nineteen large mature trees in my yard plus five other buildings and ditches along two sides of the property. Way to much area to cover with a battery weed eater. My woods row along one side of the property is about one and a half acres.

How will we recycle millions and millions of lithium batteries every year in the future? Someone must have a plan....
    Keith, I have the Husqvarna commercial weedwacker previously mentioned, over 100 trees in my yard, and I have never had the battery die mid job. More importantly it is a joy to use compared to the Husqvarna gas one I have, balance is perfect, extends to the length that suits you, light and has all the power one could ask for. If you try one you will be hooked.

Blog Entries
    There are some pretty good small battery chain saws for trimming and climbing, Milwaukee comes to mind. As to maintaining grass, I take pride in a nice lawn as much as I do in a house without peeling paint. But then I am in Michigan where water isn't an issue, I just pump it out of the lake.
    NOW you tell me...

I finally found a list that makes clear what is and isn't subject to the law. (my post above is incorrect)
    You might think this information would be easier to find since the law went into effect months ago. They really don't make it easy to find the info.
    https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fac...ity-fact-sheet

Examples of equipment with engines that are and are not subject to CARB’s current SORE regulations

SORE used in the following equipment are subject to CARB’s current SORE regulations:

• Chainsaws < 45 cc
    • Edgers
    • Hedge trimmers
    • Lawn mowers
    • Leaf blowers
    • Log splitters
    • Portable generators
    • Pressure washers
    • Riding mowers
    • String trimmers

SORE used in the following equipment are not subject to CARB’s current SORE regulations:

• Air compressors
    • Blade-capable brush cutters/clearing saws ≥ 40 cc
    • Chainsaws ≥ 45 cc
    • Chippers
    • Light towers
    • Pumps ≥ 40 cc
    • Saws: concrete, masonry, cutoff
    • Shredders/grinders
    • Stationary generators
    • Stump grinders
    • Welders

Other equipment not subject to SORE regulations:

• Equipment with engines that use diesel fuel
      • Diesel generators
      • Diesel pressure washers
      • Diesel pumps
      • Diesel riding mowers

• Stationary equipment
    • Equipment with LSI engines > 1 liter

I think things should start slower. Prove you have an acre to get a gas lawn product for example. Or allow commercial mowers to be gas for a while longer. Government backed battery replacement. 18 volt batteries have issues with too much draw. in the chainsaw I have to play hot potato with the batteries because they overheat.

Paving or stoneing the lawn is not really an option with decent acreage. Letting it over grow I suppose could work but it will look like crap.

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time until the Fed's decide to pass or decree something similar. I can't recall the last time I had my mower not start in the spring that a new battery didn't fix. I can't imagine commercial lawn mowing companies around here being able to succeed with the current offering of battery powered mowers. While many yards aren't large they have many so going from one location to another all day long maybe if you have an onboard battery charging system and a large (and expensive) stable of batteries they might get by. I think that it's another decision made assuming the technology will catch up. There aren't many here that water their lawns. That's what the rain is for. Right now I'm mowing every 4-5 days. It will slow down. It always does.

No different than the push to ban all diesel trucks and locomotives from the state. Making rules for something that doesn't exist. Hopefully the federal government will slow that requirement down because it will cripple the transportation industry. I see ignorant comments all the time though. "They have trucks that can 500 miles on a charge now." Most diesel over the road trucks can go 1500 miles. After a brief fuel stop be back on the road. You have a steady flow of trucks in and out of truck stops fueling. How many recharging spots will it take for an equivalent number of electric trucks with 1/3 the range. With an unknown amount of time needed for recharging. I think the technology is already developing as fast as it can. Without some major breakthroughs it isn't going to match up to the rules they are dreaming up.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Keith, I have the Husqvarna commercial weedwacker previously mentioned, over 100 trees in my yard, and I have never had the battery die mid job. More importantly it is a joy to use compared to the Husqvarna gas one I have, balance is perfect, extends to the length that suits you, light and has all the power one could ask for. If you try one you will be hooked.
    I will take your advice and give one a try. I would prefer Milwaukee because I already have several of their battery tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    There are some pretty good small battery chain saws for trimming and climbing, Milwaukee comes to mind. As to maintaining grass,
    Stihl, too. My tree guy is using them now for all the work they are capable of including while climbing and only pulls out the big gas saw for cuts where it's necessary.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I will take your advice and give one a try. I would prefer Milwaukee because I already have several of their battery tools.
    You will find that for battery operated landscaping tools for "serious" work/big jobs, you'll be better served by the brands that are focused on that, like Stihl, Husqvarna, EGO, etc. The batteries are much more than any of the M18 things, although Milwaukie does have a high amp hour battery available now.
    --