Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a New Resaw Blade

Need a New Resaw Blade

Back in 2008 I bought a Grizzly G0513X2 band saw. (Bear Head wheels!) Shortly thereafter I ordered a resaw blade from Timberwolf. Then my power tools were put away for about 8 years while I restored a classic car. Now I've got my woodworking shop going again, but it seems I lost my resaw blade during a move two years ago.

I think I had a 1/2" 1 TPI blade from Timberwolf. Does that sound correct? Would you folks recommend buying the same blade again? I recall Timberwolf made good blades and I think I saw them at my local Woodcraft. However, for all I know, Timberwolf could have been sold to a company in Shanghai which now rebrands blades of bubblegum and sawdust.

I would appreciate any advice for a new resaw blade.

Thanks.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...gaAtv7EALw_wcB

This is where I buy my resaw blades.
    David

Not a Timberwolf fan but putting that aside, for resawing on that saw, I would go for a 3/4"- 3 blade.
    JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Not a Timberwolf fan but putting that aside, for resawing on that saw, I would go for a 3/4"- 3 blade.
    JMO
    Does the "3" mean 3 TPI?

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...gaAtv7EALw_wcB

This is where I buy my resaw blades.
    David
    Thanks. I will check it out.

I'm about to try this- good reviews in recent discussion here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...79GQBLOBI&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    Does the "3" mean 3 TPI?

Yes
    3/4' is typically better for resawing and 3 tpi is really all that saw needs.

I use a Timberwolf 3/4" 2-3 variable TPI blade on my G0513 for resawing. I don't have a ton of experience with it yet, but so far, I really like that blade. It tends to leave a rough surface, but it cuts fast and straight. And they're still made in the same place by the same people. I mainly got this blade because I don't do a ton of resawing and this one was fairly cheap. Prices can vary, so you may want to shop around if you go this route.

I've heard that the Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking is a meat cutting blade, adapted for woodworking. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means it has a thinner kerf and gives a smoother surface and cuts faster with less power. However, if the blade wanders at all, it's real hard to get it back on track, so you need to have everything perfectly tuned up to get the most out of it. I've also heard they can dull really quickly. They're typically the choice for people working with expensive wood and needing to get the most out of each board. They're not typically for people working with cheaper domestic wood and needing to get the most out of their blade.

Then there are carbide and bi-metal blades if you demand longevity and are willing to pay more. The Laguna 3/4" Resaw King is probably the top blade here, and it can be resharpened several times to extend the life of the blade even further and save you money. But it's gonna be expensive to get into.

It's like that old product triangle. You get to choose two. Cut quality, price, or longevity. You can't have all three.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    I use a Timberwolf 3/4" 2-3 variable TPI blade on my G0513 for resawing. I don't have a ton of experience with it yet, but so far, I really like that blade. It tends to leave a rough surface, but it cuts fast and straight. And they're still made in the same place by the same people. I mainly got this blade because I don't do a ton of resawing and this one was fairly cheap. Prices can vary, so you may want to shop around if you go this route.

I've heard that the Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking is a meat cutting blade, adapted for woodworking. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means it has a thinner kerf and gives a smoother surface and cuts faster with less power. However, if the blade wanders at all, it's real hard to get it back on track, so you need to have everything perfectly tuned up to get the most out of it. I've also heard they can dull really quickly. They're typically the choice for people working with expensive wood and needing to get the most out of each board. They're not typically for people working with cheaper domestic wood and needing to get the most out of their blade.

Then there are carbide and bi-metal blades if you demand longevity and are willing to pay more. The Laguna 3/4" Resaw King is probably the top blade here, and it can be resharpened several times to extend the life of the blade even further and save you money. But it's gonna be expensive to get into.

It's like that old product triangle. You get to choose two. Cut quality, price, or longevity. You can't have all three.
    Thanks. Yeah, the Resaw King looks way cool, but I just bought an outdoor pizza oven and can't spend $200 right now. Although, if it's a really good blade, I think it would be worthwhile. (Everyone in the family gets to benefit from the pizza oven, but only I would use the resaw blade.)

Thanks. Yeah, the Resaw King looks way cool, but I just bought an outdoor pizza oven and can't spend $200 right now. Although, if it's a really good blade, I think it would be worthwhile. (Everyone in the family gets to benefit from the pizza oven, but only I would use the resaw blade.)
    Use it to make a pizza peel! Then everyone gets to benefit from the Resaw King!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    Use it to make a pizza peel! Then everyone gets to benefit from the Resaw King!
    Great idea!

It seems like Timberwolf blades are one of those things that most swear by, some swear at. As far as blade width, I'd take the manufacturer's rated width and go down one 'size'. If the manufacturer says a say will support a 1" blade, I'd probably go with a 3/4" blade. I think for resawing fewer teeth with deeper gullets for sawdust removal is generally better.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    It seems like Timberwolf blades are one of those things that most swear by, some swear at. As far as blade width, I'd take the manufacturer's rated width and go down one 'size'. If the manufacturer says a say will support a 1" blade, I'd probably go with a 3/4" blade. I think for resawing fewer teeth with deeper gullets for sawdust removal is generally better.
    That makes sense. Thanks.

Interestingly, back in 2008 it seemed like everyone swore by Timberwolf. Seems the perceptions have changed.

Carbide-tipped bandsaw blades last longer than steel blades, and this more than makes up for the higher purchase price. My resaw blade of choice is the Lennox Woodmasyer CT. On my Laguna 16HD, I use a 1” Blade.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Interestingly, back in 2008 it seemed like everyone swore by Timberwolf. Seems the perceptions have changed.
    More experience most likely IMO.