Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preparing a new tool for the worksohp

Talking Jointer gunk

I got this same Delta jointer from Amazon about a month ago. The clean up is really easy by using Simple Green cleaner at full strength. About ten paper towels and maybe fifteen minutes and I had a gleeming clean jointer. I just use paste wax to maintain the surface.
    Greg

Hmmm...so the most readily available (with the ability to easily store and have additional uses for) products mentioned are WD-40, mineral spirits, and Simple Green...all things I have. Anybody know of reasons NOT to use these products? Or let me rephrase by asking why the manual specifically references kerosene?? For me, I have no use for kerosene and it will just tie up one of my gas cans.

I've also heard Xylene would work...readily available at the BORGS.

Rob - what is this Renaissance wax you refer to in your post?

Laurie - good questions regarding the aluminum. I suspect WD-40 would suffice. What did the manual say? Anything different than kerosene?

Brian...you made a mobil stand...did you get the free Delta mobile stand, as well?

Matt

Matt,

I had already recieved the casters when I found out about the free MB. I got alot of 2" angle iron from a place that tossed it away and I cut it up and made one solid base which is easy to move, has a greater mobility and raises up the working surface so its easier for me. Look on eBay next week and you'll see my MB on there for sale....unless someone here who don't have one wants to make an offer Pics will come later on so Tyler is content.

Sure...I understand the use of a custom MB. I was just making sure you didn't pass up the freebie! Should go quick on Ebay, Craig's List, or SMC.

In reading about Topcote and Boeshield T9 rust inhibitors (recommending in an earlier post and applied post-cleanup and pre-waxing), it seems as though these products can be used in lieu of wax (Johnson's, Butcher's, etc.).

So why both? Just added protection?

Matt

I've seen Renaissance referred to in other posts. It's a wax. People really seem to like it. Just do a search on it here and on woodnet.