Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Fence Scale (Tape)

Table Saw Fence Scale (Tape)

Anyone know of where I can get a steel tape to replace the tape on my table saw. The one I have on there isnt very accurate and I would like to get something on there that is. I thought about just attaching a steel ruler, but I'd like something at least 48" long. TIA
    Jason Morgan

You can buy a steel machinists rule which is 48" long. That's what I did for my table saw. A machinists rule is more accurate than a tape. Enco (www.use-enco.com) has them for $75 or so.

Custom Service Hardware sells Fastcap tapes which are nice and available in a few different types. The one I prefer is 1" wide and blank on the bottom half so you can make your memory marks. They are designed to be written on with pencil.

Amazon has replacement Biesemeyer tapes and I believe Woodcraft sells Starrett.

I bought mine from Lee Valley a few years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This may be the time to go digital...
    http://www.wixey.com/fence/index.html

There are other brands that have been out a while, but they are substantially more expensive. Wixley has proven himself on the Planer readout, and is moving on to the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Morgan
    The one I have on there isnt very accurate and I would like to get something on there that is. TIA
    Just because it's steel doesn't necessarily mean it's more accurate. They are printed in the same way as the plastic ones, and are often just as "sloppy". One benefit they do have is that they won't change due to temperature, and they don't stretch during installation.

If you wish good accuracy, you can use the machinist's rule as Jamie suggested.

I never trust my tape either. I always measure from the blade to the fence directly with an accurate steel rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums
    This may be the time to go digital...
    http://www.wixey.com/fence/index.html

There are other brands that have been out a while, but they are substantially more expensive. Wixley has proven himself on the Planer readout, and is moving on to the saw.

Thanks for the link Charlie.

It's tempting

thanks for all the replies.

People that bought the Lee Valley, are you happy with it? Does it seem accuate? I think I am going to try that first since its only a few dollars. Then I may make the plunge to the Wixey. That sure looks neat. I could use a good machinists rule though.

Hmmmmmm...
    Jason Morgan

I remember the talk about the Wixey for the TS back when there was a sale on the planer model. Then, I read that the TS model was still in production and testing. Why wasn't I told that it was out and available. I bought the planer model. Do I need to spend MORE money just to be put on the email list? Do I need to be part of some special Wixey club. GEEEEZZZZ..... what's a guy got to do to be told to spend more money????

Thanks for the link Charlie.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Fence Tape

Oregon Rule makes a bewildering variety of self-adhesive tapes for machinery. I just took delivery of a router fence and miter gauge from WoodHaven. Both have Oregon tapes. On the web oregonruleco.com.

One is a right-to-left, the other a center out. I like the numbering a little better than the rule on my Biesemeyer saw fence.

The good things is that you have choices.

Gary Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    .... Why wasn't I told that it was out and available. ...
    It won't be out until May 1st. Keep watching the mail

I had talked with him about testing a version for combo machines (My rip fence has two different rails, which means it doesn't work with most digital readouts). I haven't heard from him either.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Filtz
    I never trust my tape either. I always measure from the blade to the fence directly with an accurate steel rule.
    Me too (until I bought the Incra TS-III).

Even with an accurate tape on the saw itself, every time you change the blade you may be dealing w/ a different kerf and that throws it off anyway. What happens when you put a dado on? I only found the tape handy for incremental reference when moving from the tape measured point that I marked first.

The tape on the TS-III is magnetic and can be reset to "0" very easily which is useful when changing blades. You may want to look into a magnetic one for that purpose (unless you're one of the WWII users that never changes his blade).

Gentlemen,
    Consider before buying the Wixey model that the specifications on the web site list a fudge-factor of .005" plus or minus per linear foot. That translates to about 1/64" per three feet, 1/32" per six feet in length. For my machining operations, this is well out of acceptable tolerance. I cannot consider it for this reason, otherwise it would be perfect for my table saws.