Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: please educate an uninformed hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    My experience is that guided tool systems are very very easy to use (not a "pain in the posterior" as you say Dev) and that I get square on panel type cuts all the time.

In the two years I have owned my system, I figure that I have made about 3000 cuts, dados, and rabbets and I have had only about 10 "wonky" results. And, only one of those times was it due to the guide rail slipping. The other times, I measured incorrectly (once yesterday ).
    Frank.
    Wait until you install the "Positioning System" in your rails.

I've used one in the past for a cabinet job. The actual function - cutting a straight line - works well. Getting set up, handling long guides, clamping, etc. was a bit of a pain. I would rather have a vertical saw, but for light use, they guide system seems to work well. For doing flooring, or other portable type cuts, it would be superb. I ended up making a plywood guide for the few times a year I need a non tablesaw straight line cut. The dedicated systems work better than that though.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    this thread is a spin-off of another that seemed to me to be heading in the wrong direction. i don`t own and have never used the guided circular saw systems that are available. i`m pretty much in the dark, other than what i read on this forum. and unfortunately every time a thread about these systems starts it seems to get into a brand-x vs brand-y discussion. so if you kind folks could take the time to discuss the merits and potential merits of these systems in a commercial/construction enviornment i would really appreiciate the insite. please leave the manufacturers product names at the door so maybe this thread will be informative. dino and bob your input is more than welcome! i`m just trying to avoid the brand-bashing/pluging that goes on all too frequently..
    thanks, tod
    http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32391

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Tod,

I'll bring up a couple of GR setups for you to see and test drive when I come up next. Sound ok?

dennis, it`s been a while since this thread was alive and due to some of the discussions over the last couple of days i was wondering if sometime in the next couple of weeks i could come visit you and mark to see these in person? tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B. Cresti
    Bob Marino once told me that these tools "Offer solutions to problems" and I think that fits the description to a "T".
    Well, that's an attitude I can live with: I'm just shopping for tools, not choosing a new religion.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Simple Answer. A guided saw system is the cat's meow for fine tuning stuff during install. It is a good compromise considering you dont have to move tons of machines and have access to industrial three phase power. But considering that one does have access to stand alone machines with three phase power, you will find your not using the guided saw system at all. Truth is, they are all a pain in the posterior to use esp. if your working super square corners on panel type cuts. I can blank a whole kitchen in a matter of a couple of hours or less from a huge stack of baltic birch ply. And not once do I need to check square! I check off my notebook's cut list but that is all. I would hate to have to depend on a guided saw system to do this work. But when the job site is 168 miles from your shop, your best friend is a guided saw system. So its all relative.
    Yep, they are a pain and the ultimate solution is a saw made for the job. But I think for people like myself with a small shop, the trade-off of "proper" and "pita" is worthwhile as there really isn't another good option. Especially working by oneself.

Then again, maybe that's why I only went through maybe 25 sheets of 18 mm and an equal amount of 12 mm BB a year. And that's when I had the cabinet shop running and more space.

Still have the small shop. I've cut down maybe 5 sheets all year. I used a handsaw. Works for me.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    cool! thanks dennis, i`m really curious what these guys have on my old 10" milwaukee and a plywood guide.....02 tod
    Tod....not really sure it has anything over the milwaukee and guide.......its just a little more expensive. won't flex, I have one but still find myself grabbing the plywood if i'm in a hurry, then again I don't keep mine together all the time.....