Thread: Fasteners for White cedar?

Fasteners for White cedar?

Just a quick question, I am going to build some planters and Adirondak chairs from Northern White Cedar, Do I need to worry about corrosion like I would with Western Red or Cypress? Should I be using stainless steel screws? Is there something better?

Thanks in advance Dave

I think you'd want either the stainless or silicon bronze screws. If you haven't already, check out mcfeeleys.com. They have large selections of both.
    Use the fence Luke

Definitely use stainless steel. Cedar splits if you're not careful. For planters, you could probably get away with construction techniques that would let you glue it together with a waterproof glue. One of the Titebonds is waterproof, don't remember which one. If you need to attach things with fasteners - for example decorative slats - use stainless steel rink shank siding nails. They won't rust and leave those rust streaks. I put cedar siding on our shed and after 10+ years the only thing on it is some mold . I wouldn't use the ring shank nails for anything structural. One nice thing about the siding nails is that they have a very small head, so they almost disappear - but that's why I wouldn't use them for anything structural.

If forced to screw stuff together, I'd use a deep thread panhead screw. The deep threads are because cedar is soft, so you need a lot of thread to bite into the wood. A bugle-head screw will very likely split the cedar on you which is why I'd go with panhead screws. Yeah, it's a bigger head, but if you have to screw things together that's what I'd use. If you really don't want to see the screws, counter sink them and plug the holes with plugs cut from some of the cedar scraps. You also need to use self-tapping screws or predrill the holes.

Rob

Use stainless, brass or bronze, probably in that order of preference. Make sure that you predrill all the holes. Reduces the chance of splitting. I would counterbore and the plug the holes unless you want to make a feature of the fittings. Stainless is only a little more cost but I wouldn't use anything else.

Thanks All

Stainless Steel it shall be