Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extremely disappointed!

To everyone, especially Bruce.

I understand that you disagree with sniping software.

Like I said earlier, I have never used it before and don't know if I will again. It is simply a trial period.

The original post was made in frustration. In hindsight, I reacted too quickly and assumed that the seller pulled the listing. In reality, the seller did not commit the sin here, in my opinion, but ebay was trying to protect potential buyers.

Just for the record, there were actually 9 bids on this item before ebay elected to pull it.

Anyone certainly has the option to state a personal opinion. That is what makes this country so great. I shouldn't be so thin skinned.

I sincerely apologize if my earlier response offended you or anyone else. Once again, I was too hasty.

Greg

Messrs. Ladd and Benjamin,
    I thank each of you for doing your part in keeping the Creek flowing.
    Frank

Greg,

It's all cool. I'm sure I could've worded my response more
    clearly had I taken the time. I think some of us just fire
    off a post without always thinking about how it might read
    to someone who can't see your face or hear your voice.

Bruce

I have a "love-hate" relationship with "E-PAY" I've only bought a few things from them. I got burn't once.
    I think the only use for "Sniping software is for highly desired items.
    The stuff I've been interested in I placed a bid for the Max I wanted to pay. Usually I've watched the price zoom up past my max bid, sometimes more than the price for new items.
    E-pay is a marvel to watch when people get in a frenzy, and bidding goes into "ludicrus speed". I've been caught up in the frenzy a couple of times, but luckly there were people that were dumber than me, and I was saved.
    I have manage to get a couple of good items at a decent price, but I think good deals on E-pay are a rarity.
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

ebay and scheduling conflicts

Part of my problem with ebay is my work schedule.

I work a rotating shift schedule on which I work 12 hour days for up to 4 days at a time and then 4 12 hour night shifts. On top of all that, getting called in on overtime for any time of the day at all can make life somewhat less than normal.

As you can imagine, this makes it very difficult for me to watch an auction at the end, which unfortunately is exactly when I want to watch. I have missed some woodworking tools that sold for less than I was willing to pay but hadn't set a proxy bid up high enough but the bidding price of which got frantic at the end.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ladd
    Part of my problem with ebay is my work schedule.

I work a rotating shift schedule on which I work 12 hour days for up to 4 days at a time and then 4 12 hour night shifts. On top of all that, getting called in on overtime for any time of the day at all can make life somewhat less than normal.

As you can imagine, this makes it very difficult for me to watch an auction at the end, which unfortunately is exactly when I want to watch. I have missed some woodworking tools that sold for less than I was willing to pay but hadn't set a proxy bid up high enough but the bidding price of which got frantic at the end.

Greg
    How come you didn't set the proxy price at the max you wanted to pay?
    Thats what I do. I also work weird hours.
    Of course usually someone else places a greater value on the thing, then I'm willing to pay!
    I usually research something before I bid. and won't go over the pirce I think it's worth, even with E-pay's E-mail cautioning me not to miss the thing
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Aren't we supposed to be talking about woodworking and ww tools? eBay, for whatever you think of it should be in the OT forum.
    Why are you so enamored with the General planer?

Jim and Frank...

Jim,

I scould have set a higher proxy bid but as I said earlier I was using sniping software and it doesn't place a bid until the last few seconds. As it turned out the posting was pulled by ebay so it didn't matter.

Frank,

I think the General planer is unlike any on the market. The table casting is done using the Meehanite process so it will stay flat for years, The gearbox is extremely robust and very well engineered. Lastly, it is still made here in North America and uses a Baldor motor. If it is made as well as my General 350 table saw it is very robust.

This is only my opinion. There are many good 15" planers on the market. I happen to own a Jet that has given me good service. I just think the General line (the canadian made stuff) is a cut above.

Greg