Thread: Molding plane book

Molding plane book

I am looking for the title of a book that describes how to make molding planes.

Thanks

I ordered 'Making & Mastering Wood Planes : Revised Edition' by David Finck today. Not sure it it has molding planes. The Amazon reviews on this book heap high praise on it.

ISBN: 140272022X.

John M. Whelan, Making Traditional Wooden Planes, 1996, The Astragal Press, 121 pp., is a good start. The bibliography in that book is a useful reference.

Wow, that was fast.

Thanks guys.

Also, there's the Todd Herrli video ("Classic Plane Making") on making hollows and rounds using the lamination method that I found to be excellent.

Pam

Harold, I have both of the books mentioned above. Finck's book is excellent but does not go into molding planes. However, if this is your first plane it's a much better how-to. It's also an excellent book on planes in general, although I prefer Garett's Hack "The Handplane Book."

Whelan's book has a ton of information on many different kinds of planes, but it is not really a howto in my opinion and more of a reference.

I'm planning my first plane and I'll be following Finick's book closely. When I get better at it, I'll be using Whelan's book as a reference.

Hope this helps. Best of luck and be sure to post pictures when you complete your plane.

Michael

As someone who uses moulding planes a bunch, I toyed with the idea of taking a class from Tod herli a couple years ago. But in all honesty, I think that purchasing them is a much more viable option, at least in my case. Hollows and rounds are quite cheap, and you can make anything at all with them. There are profiles that simply can't be cut with router bits. I have spoken to Tod a few times, and he is quite knowledgable. I think that depending on your location, a class with him, might be the "best" way to learn how to make moulding planes. Good luck on your adventure, and I hope I've helped.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Niedermayer
    Also, there's the Todd Herrli video ("Classic Plane Making") on making hollows and rounds using the lamination method that I found to be excellent.

Pam
    Thanks Pam. I'll check into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fross
    Harold, I have both of the books mentioned above. Finck's book is excellent but does not go into molding planes. However, if this is your first plane it's a much better how-to. It's also an excellent book on planes in general, although I prefer Garett's Hack "The Handplane Book."

Whelan's book has a ton of information on many different kinds of planes, but it is not really a howto in my opinion and more of a reference.

I'm planning my first plane and I'll be following Finick's book closely. When I get better at it, I'll be using Whelan's book as a reference.

Hope this helps. Best of luck and be sure to post pictures when you complete your plane.

Michael
    Thanks Michael. I'll pick up Finck's book, then. It may be a while before I get to making one - if I can - but I'll keep an update if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wargo
    As someone who uses moulding planes a bunch, I toyed with the idea of taking a class from Tod herli a couple years ago. But in all honesty, I think that purchasing them is a much more viable option, at least in my case. Hollows and rounds are quite cheap, and you can make anything at all with them. There are profiles that simply can't be cut with router bits. I have spoken to Tod a few times, and he is quite knowledgable. I think that depending on your location, a class with him, might be the "best" way to learn how to make moulding planes. Good luck on your adventure, and I hope I've helped.
    Thanks Steve. I had thought about buying used ones, but don't know anything about them. Figured by making them, would know what I have.

I'll have to look into Tod and his classes.

Good advice from everyone.

Thanks
    Last edited by harold schmonz; 05-11-2006 at 3:35 PM.

i know that Illinois is a large state, but Tod is located in Indiana, if I'm not mistaken.

i know that Illinois is a large state, but Tod is located in Indiana, if I'm not mistaken.
    I'm close to Chicago.

Here is Tod's info

Mississinewa Valley Planes
    2514 Lommel Ln..
    Marion, IN 46952
    (765) 664-3325

therrli@comteck.com But it doesn't seem to be working

That works. His website has his classes, too.

Thanks