Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D4R and Akeda, I feel stupid

David Less Guest

D4R and Akeda, I feel stupid

About 6 months ago I went web surfing to try and decide which jig to buy. After what I read I was leaning towords the Leigh.

I have a brand new D4R sitting in the box in my shop today but will probably send it back for the Akeda. I did another web search yesterday at work and found some pretty convincing conparisons between the two.

This morning I reread everything about the 2 jigs and even read the Creeks past forums.

What I like most of all about the Akeda is the simple and ease of set up and dust collection. I came to the conclusion that this is more important to me than infinitley variable spacing and case work, 24" width.

I hope I am making the right choice, I hate it when tying to make these type of decisions.

What do you fellow Creekers thing about my decision???

David

As a new woodworker, I love my Akeda. By the way the Woodcraft store manager in our area is making a cabinet with many drawers and is using the Akeda making blind dovetails for them.
    Don

Don't miss the WoodCraft sale on them. Been on for a while, so...

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4406

If you have done the reading, you know how I feel. I love mine and find it very versatile. It is much easier to use than the D4, but you are limited to 16".

CPeter

I have tried both....

and bought the D4. Why? Yes the Akeda was marginally easier to use, but for ME:
    1. The L D4 booklet and Video are easy to follow.
    2. Since I find that I do similar DT most of the time, it is easy to remember how the set-up is.
    3. 24" does come in useful at times.
    4. the infin var spacing is useful.
    Phil

I have the Akeda and really like it. You said that dust collection is important to you and the Akeda really shines in that respect. The 1/8 th inch increments are a limitation and as long as you can live with that and the length issue you will be set.

However, if I had a new D4 sitting in my shop I would just keep it and learn how to use it if the dust thing did not bother me too much. Couldn't be that complicated and you have no limitations except for the total length which is greater than the Akeda anyway. A lot of happy D4 owners out there.

The good news is that I do not think that you can go wrong no matter which way you go.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 05-27-2006 at 9:36 PM.

David Less Guest
    Allen
    I can't justify having 2 jigs so I will have to send one back. I ordered the Akeda and will have 2 to deside on. I hate using a router because of the mess it makes so hopefully this will over ride the 16 vs 24" issue. One guy said that the Akeda is so easy and quick (set up) that he bought a Keller to do his wider stuff.

David

David Less Guest
    Hi Creekers

What is the narrowest piece of stock the Akeda can handle?? I'm making some narrow draws for a sand paper cabenet, they are 1 1/2" wide.

David

Hi David,

Leigh has a vac attachment for the router made for their jig. It seems to get good reviews so you might want to check it out.

Cheers,

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by David Less
    Hi Creekers

What is the narrowest piece of stock the Akeda can handle?? I'm making some narrow draws for a sand paper cabenet, they are 1 1/2" wide.

David
    David,

I took a look at some dovetails that I cut a few days ago and also put in a couple of tail guides side by side and it appears to me that you cannot get two dovetails in 1 1/2" wide material but you sure can get one out of it. Would be strong and look good also I believe.

I could be wrong about the two but the only way to tell for sure would be to give it a try (unless someone else knows). If I get a chance I will give it a try tomorrow.

How thick are you front, back and sides?

One note. Not having infinite adjustment does bother me a little bit. The D4 does outpace the Akeda in that respect. How big of a deal is it? I guess that it just depends on the individual.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 05-27-2006 at 9:44 PM.

Since joining this forum, I have found that many, maybe most, of the other members are accomplished woodworkers/turners way beyond my level. In fact, I believe y'all are way beyond the level of most home shop guys. This thread is an example. The originator is talking about his "jig". Watsajig? Where I live, it is something you go fishing with. Is he talking about a jigsaw? I dunno and the follow-up posts are little help. Yes, there is a link and I'll take a look. Guess work should not be necessary. But, please, tell us what you are talking about before launching into the topic. Thanks.

Frank, the devices in question are used to facilitate dovetail joinery with a router instead of using hand saws and chisels. They control the cuts so that the mating pieces fit together snuggly and also allow for repeatability.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

David,

I just set up a 1 1/2" wide piece of wood in my Akeda and cut the tails as close as I could and as I said before, I see how one dovetail will work but no more. Should make a good joint, especially for a small drawer without much load.

I think that CPeter James is probably an expert with this "jig" (Here we go again Frank) judging by his brief comments in several threads relating to this subject. His input would be valuable if he happens to look here again. Or, maybe a private message to him. I have built a couple of things using the Akeda but have mostly been learning and trying to solve an issue or two with it such as using "non standard" widths.

Also Jim Becker really keeps up with information reguarding dovetail jigs and is a valuable source as well as some others. Hopefully they will have some input.

I do not know anything about the PC 4212, I believe it is, but I do know that they have a setup for mini dovetails that might work in constructing your 1 1/2" drawers. What's a few more bucks?

Let us know your final decisions as it is always interesting to see what guys and gals finally decide to do. And how happy they are with their decision in the end.

Good Luck! Allen

Frank, to take Jim's description one step further, a jig is anything, home made or commercial, used to facilitate cutting, gluing, assembling, or finishing a project. They are generally used to make joints better or better joints, hold things in place while their being glued or screwed together or what ever. Most of us have a collection of shop made jigs for various purposes. In the case of this thread, they are talking about a common commercial jig - and they are expensive!

Using your reference to fishing, a jig is used to catch fish. There are other ways to do it but the jig helps; right?

One last comment. No, most of us are "backyarders". Our collection of tools usually evolves over time with need and money - mostly money. Some of these characters have equipment that can cost thousands of dollars. They are just serious about their "hobby."

Keep reading, the site is very informational.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham

Using your reference to fishing, a jig is used to catch fish. There are other ways to do it but the jig helps; right?
    Or you could use these definitions:

FISHING JIG: A device used to catch fish.

COMMERICAL WOODWORKING JIG: A device used to catch dollars from woodworkers.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 05-28-2006 at 2:34 PM.