Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a good RAS

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White
    I think I'll just let it slide.
    Bill
    Good one Bill!

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Ras

I have DeWalt Super Duty, 16", 5hp, 24" crosscut. I completely rebuilt with safety in mind. It has more power and accuracy then anything I have used in 25 years.The biggest safety issue I have is with people using their right arm to pull the head out. A RAS is a LEFT handed machine, period. That is why most RAS builder leave a deep table on the left so it decourages idiots from using their right arms, then again a lot of people have never read a manual on RAS's or the OSHA requirement for saws. Please, be save with the most dangerous machine in woodworking.

Jeff Singleton

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Singleton
    That is why most RAS builder leave a deep table on the left so it decourages idiots from using their right arms, then again a lot of people have never read a manual on RAS's or the OSHA requirement for saws. Jeff Singleton
    I don't think that most of us "IDIOTS" that have used these saws for over thirty five years are referring to the RAS as being very dangerous for crosscutting. Well, maybe in some instances.

Next time that I get a RAS I will try to read the manual. That might help. Oh yes - and the OSHA requirements also. Will do. Thanks for the advice!

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 06-03-2006 at 5:15 PM.

That is why most RAS builder leave a deep table on the left so it discourages idiots from using their right arms, then again a lot of people have never read a manual on RAS's or the OSHA requirement for saws.

Gee do you suppose that is why they recommend (make that require) a guard with an horizontal flange that is a little wider than it is from the tip of your fingers to your wrist that sticks out to the left side of the blade guard to knock your left hand away from the blade so you don't cut your fingers or hand off. Also some kind of mechanism to pull the head back & away from the operator when the head is released. (required by Washington State & Osha)Yes I had a visit from WISHA of Washington state to my shop & that is the only thing I had wrong in my shop the saw has been tagged out of service for 3 years now I just haven't got around to updating it. But I will in the near future.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 06-03-2006 at 5:00 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

The biggest safety issue I have is with people using their right arm to pull the head out. A RAS is a LEFT handed machine, period. That is why most RAS builder leave a deep table on the left so it decourages idiots from using their right arms, then again a lot of people have never read a manual on RAS's or the OSHA requirement for saws. Please, be save with the most dangerous machine in woodworking.

Jeff Singleton
    Well Jeff, thanks for calling me an idiot and I gotta say, "Right back at ya, buddy!" I can't imagine where you get your info but my Craftsman RAS is a machine designed to use the right hand to pull the carriage. I just looked it up in the manual and it even shows drawings of this. Pulling with the left hand is dangerous and awkward on my saw in my opinion. I don't know about OSHA requirements and I don't care about them. I know what feels safe and I know what the manual says. Maybe the saw you use requires a different technique but I think the majority of RAS users have a standard 10" saw that are designed to be used with the right hand. The giant saws I've seen used at the various lumber yards and box stores appear to all be made to be used with the right hand too. Whatever you want to think is ok to though.

Bruce

Opps

Sorry guys, I should have chosen my works more carefully. About the left hand thing. With a radial arm saws arm coming straight out and the motor handle is on the right side of the arm it only seem right that you stand to the right of the saw when cutting. When using your right hand you have to reach under the arm and around the blade guard to get to the handle and then the saw come right out at you or between your right hand and your body and if you are a tall person it is a more pronounced reach. I have never use a Craftman RAS or Delta's, only DeWalt GE, GA, and the Super Duties. Maybe you can get away with using your right hand to pull the carriage out on some saws and maybe some manufactors tell you to use your right hand. I started patternmaking in 1979 and the first week I was there we were setting up a new shop. An OSHA inspector showed up, who know why is anyone quess but I know durning the building of the shop building inspectors were there all the time. The OSHA ins. red flagged the RAS before we could install the return spring or in our case a counter weight. Since I was the closest person to the RAS and him and only 19 years out I got the lecure on RAS safety. I was building a lumber rack at the time, not using the saw. But he drilled about safety on the saw and I still remember it to this day. Needless to say he is reason why I only use my left hand on the RAS. But that is no reason for using the wrong words. Once again I apoligise for my words.

Jeff Singleton

Sorry guys, I should have chosen my works more carefully. About the left hand thing. With a radial arm saws arm coming straight out and the motor handle is on the right side of the arm it only seem right that you stand to the right of the saw when cutting. When using your right hand you have to reach under the arm and around the blade guard to get to the handle and then the saw come right out at you or between your right hand and your body and if you are a tall person it is a more pronounced reach. I have never use a Craftsman RAS or Delta's, only DeWalt GE, GA, and the Super Duties. Maybe you can get away with using your right hand to pull the carriage out on some saws and maybe some manufactors tell you to use your right hand. I started patternmaking in 1979 and the first week I was there we were setting up a new shop. An OSHA inspector showed up, who know why is anyone quess but I know durning the building of the shop building inspectors were there all the time. The OSHA ins. red flagged the RAS before we could install the return spring or in our case a counter weight. Since I was the closest person to the RAS and him and only 19 years out I got the lecure on RAS safety. I was building a lumber rack at the time, not using the saw. But he drilled about safety on the saw and I still remember it to this day. Needless to say he is reason why I only use my left hand on the RAS. But that is no reason for using the wrong words. Once again I apoligise for my words.

Jeff Singleton
    I still have no idea of what you're talking about. Your RAS must look different than most others. The handle on mine is right in the front. The handle on every other RAS I've ever seen in person is more or less on the front of the motor carriage. Perhaps doing the slightest amount of research on the designs of saws other than your own would be a good idea before you make such a blanket statement. Numerous websites have RAS pictures. I just did a quick Google search and in a few minutes I couldn't find a single saw that has a handle like you describe or anything that would be safer using your left hand. Most of the pictures were fairly small so maybe I missed something but the vast majority of RAS handles are pretty much on the front of the carriage. With the motor on my saw on the right side of the carriage it's awkward to try to hold the wood with my right hand and pull with the left. But you can do whatever works for you on your saw.

Jeff, I appreciate your apology about the names, but it did make me look at my RAS owners manual. It explicitly says to hold the work with your left hand, and pull the saw with the right hand. It goes into great detail about holding your right arm stiff, rotating your body, etc. to be prepared for the force of the saw coming forward, and explicitly says to never cut on the push stroke (don't know why, but I don't).

I have used my RAS safely for almost 35 years, but to me it is still the scariest power tool that I use.

Jeff,

I also appreicate the apology. Sometimes things do not come across the way they were meant. Happens to all of us.

Allen

back to the original question.

I had one of those craftsman saws and could never keep it square. I have a delta / rockwell turret model now and it is very repeatable. I have not personally used the dewalts, but I have heard that they are also very precise.

For what it is worth, on left hand use of the RAS. Since I am a lefty, it does seem much more natural to use a RAS with the left hand. Maybe some folks prefer to use the right hand.

lou

I'm left handed and use my Delta 'Turret' RAS for all kinds of projects, though not necessarily those related to precision woodworking. It's pretty special when a 'lefty' finds a tool designed with them in mind.....