Thread: spraying Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat

spraying Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat

I'm about to try spraying Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat with a Wagner HVLP gun. Does anyone have any experience spraying Seal Coat which is a 2lb cut and if so did it require thinning or will it spray fine straight from the can?

Thanks

Mike

I just sprayed about a quart of this on a bookcase headboard I'm building and it shoots great right out of the can without any thinning. I used a cheap HVLP touchup gun I bought from Menards and used 25lbs at the gun. Just be careful on vertical surfaces as it is very easy to spray too much material and cause runs.

-Mark E.
    Remember, in the next world you're on your own!

I've been spraying that stuff recently and as Mark said it is easy to lay down too much. Great stuff though.

I suspected it would shoot fine straight out of the can as 2lb cut is fairly thin, I figured I'd ask though and hear from someone who had actual experience with it. I've got quite a bit of experience with conventional guns, but this is my first HVLP. I surmise that keeping the material flow on the low side would help controlling the possibility of runs?

Mike

Do It All The Time

"M",

I spray this product all the time right from the can. I use 28 pounds at the gun with liberal airflow and have had no problems. Vertical surfaces I cut down on the product flow by almost half and do 3 coats rather than two.

Have fun.

Jay

Mike,

If you are using the Wagner HVLP conversion gun, 28 psi at the gun is a little on the high side, at least from my experience. The Wagner HVLP conversion gun is a pressure feed gun and you only need about 8 psi at the gage on the gun, when the trigger is pulled. With too much pressure, you'll get a lot of overspray.

Brian

8 psi for the fluid delivery pressure (if you're using a pot) is probably OK. However, if you are running your air pressure at 8 psi you are really not atomizing the fluid very well.

(IMHO )

Nic,
    Well I'm certainly no expert, but in my experience with the gun I mentioned, 28 psi at the gun wouldn't be very optimal. You may have missed my comment, but the Wagner HVLP conversion gun is a pressure feed gun, not a siphon or gravity feed, so it is operating similar to a hand held pressure pot. I'm not familiar with how pressure pots work, but it appears they may use a separate fluid delivery pressure and air pressure. This gun has only one hose going to it with only one pressure adjustment. I think (but don't know for certain) that typical siphon or gravity feed spray guns operate with an air pressure at the gun of about 30 psi and internally reduce that to 10 psi at the tip. I don't believe this gun works that way, but I could be wrong, the directions aren't very good. This is one thing that I really don't like about this gun. In hindsite, I wish I had bought a Finishline or similar from someplace where I could get better advice. The people at Gleem paint where I bought the gun have been very willing to help, but I don't think they are experienced painters.

If you go to the Gleem Paint website, you will see where they recommend starting out at a pressure of 16-18 psi at the gun, before the trigger is pulled. After you pull the trigger, the pressure at the gage on the gun will drop to around 8 -10 psi, at least it does on my gun. For what it's worth, I seem to be getting pretty good atomization, maybe not as good as either of my high pressure guns, but pretty close.

Brian Walter

Brian is correct about the Wagner gun. Input air from the compressor around 40 psi is good and then the on-gun regulator is adjusted for best results. For me, that's at about 15-20 psi on the dial before pressing the trigger.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My conversion gun run great at about 15-20 psi at the gun (before pulling the trigger). I used to run it higher but oh man, over spray!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1