Thread: Redwood

Redwood

Was wondering if anyone had turned Redwood and how does it turn? I have a friend of mine that wants to send me a piece of curly redwood 1 3/4" thick X 11 1/2" wide and 35 5/8" long. He thought I could make some platters or plates from it. Thanks.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have turned pens and some boxes from some redwood burl. It is a little soft and somewhat prone to tearout but sands up nicely. Tends to really soak up the finish.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I did a couple things from redwood (very) early on, mostly because I had a chunk of Home Depot 4x4 sitting in the corner. Note that it was extremely dry wood that had been baking in my garage 6-8 years.

About like turning styrofoam...I have no idea what "real" redwood would be like.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Redwood burl brings a good price for blanks. I turn a few pens out of it.
    If John Hart reads this he should have some good tips for you---I know he really likes Redwood.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

"Free Wood" has got to be as good as "Found Wood".

Curly Redwood you say? I say "Go for it!"
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

I have turned dry redwood burl and it was pleasant, fragrant and easy to turn. It was also very dusty. Sharp tools are a must for any soft material and this species is no exception.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have to agree with what has been said, turns easy, soft, sharp tools, but the burl is absolutely gorgeous. I would take all I can get!
    Earl
    "Life is a work of art designed by the one who lives it."

Thanks for the replies. I think I will get some and should be able to get at least 3 platters out of one. Also may turn some and make a clock out of it.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Redwood

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    I did a couple things from redwood (very) early on, mostly because I had a chunk of Home Depot 4x4 sitting in the corner. Note that it was extremely dry wood that had been baking in my garage 6-8 years.

About like turning styrofoam...I have no idea what "real" redwood would be like.
    Lee, can you still get redwood lumber down there? We used to use it for sandblasted signs, but in the mid 90's switched to cedar after the tree sitting people in N. CA drove the price up and the supply down.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    Lee, can you still get redwood lumber down there? We used to use it for sandblasted signs, but in the mid 90's switched to cedar after the tree sitting people in N. CA drove the price up and the supply down.
    You can, but the last time I checked (looking for deck lumber), anything halfway decent cost almost as much as ipe.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Bernie are you sure your lathe is big enough?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

As my granddad always said, "no step for a stepper." Yea I have seen them. Them is some big trees.
    Bernie