Thread: barley twists

barley twists

good morning turners
    I am looking into some projects that would use barley twist columns. other than the legacy ornamental lathe, what else have you guys done to make barley twists ? I can reassemble my pattern makers lathe tool rest and jig something up like the legacy lathe, but I was just wondering what some have done to turn spiral columns ( either single,double or triple start type)

thanks
    Lou

You can always use an index wheel to scribe lines and connect the dots using a flexible rule. Then carve the twists by hand. Not necessarily fast, but it works.

If you're looking at spirals, two or three colums twisted around each other, you can use the same technique and a v block with your drill press adjusted with a depth stop.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

thanks for the suggestion. any of you turners own a legacy mill?

lou

lou, i think bill g. does? they`re a bugger to handcarve. there`s also a fellow in wash. state with a hapfo(sp) lathe set up for doing twists,robert s., here`s a link to a twist thread;
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29772

good luck, tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Sears used to make what they called a Router Crafter that does basically the same as a Legarcy (except cheaper and not as big). I had one before I bought a lathe and made some table legs with it. Worked good. I sold mine (wish I hadn't). I have seen them from time to time on that auction site.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    lou, i think bill g. does? they`re a bugger to handcarve. there`s also a fellow in wash. state with a hapfo(sp) lathe set up for doing twists,robert s., here`s a link to a twist thread;
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29772

good luck, tod
    thanks tod

lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    thanks tod

lou
    `welcome lou.
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.