Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Idea Project

This thing is getting more complicated quickly. I have no idea what plane numbers go with what metal planes as I only have a couple of them and never use them except for some of the more specialized ones.

As for recommendations for purchasing tools, I will stay out of that discussion, I have no intention of ever purchasing any of the japanese tools as the look awkward and to me are all backwards in the way they work. I just use simple old tools like our forefathers used.

A chopping bench is more or less a small sawtable (sawhorse) looking affair that has holes for using pegs and wedges on one end to hold the work while you set on the bench and either chisel or drill holes, its sometimes called a chair makers bench.

This is what we will be making, I have already started a small saw table inbetween these two, so I will include it as well for those that want a smaller one.

These are the basic tools I will be using.

And this is a factory made Router Plane.

I don't have any of the modern fancy high dollar modern made tools as I have no need for them, nor can I afford them. A well tuned older tool works just as well. Guess I am to set in my ways and too old fashioned for most.

I plan to introduce the use of a story board or story stick.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 07-13-2006 at 6:05 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Galoots in Training

I don't want to discourage student questions, but I'm afraid we'll scare of our 1st instructor if we overwhelm him with questions before we start the project.

Let's commit ourselves to search this forum or the net to find the answer(s) to our questions, and perhaps PM another student, before we post it to Harry.

Agreed?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gelder
    I don't want to discourage student questions, but I'm afraid we'll scare of our 1st instructor if we overwhelm him with questions before we start the project.

Let's commit ourselves to search this forum or the net to find the answer(s) to our questions, and perhaps PM another student, before we post it to Harry.

Agreed?

I assume you are referring to me there Larry. And that's quite alright, I sincerely appreciate the admonition. However, I was really asking the rest of the group collectively. I apologize if I put Harry on the spot. It was certainly unintentional Harry. I'm just excited and trying to learn.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I don't scare that easy, I just got a little heated when I saw the fancy little dovetail jigs. How is one to hone ones hand tool skills and ability when you rely on things othrt than your own hand eye coordination. If I can do it, anybody can as I work with the disadvantage of not having any depth perception with only one eye.

Please forgive my attitude at times, my inability to do much and the hot humid weather are affecting my attitude these days. I think I am turning into an old grouch.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

5. Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil
    These are the basic tools I will be using.

Harry, what's the tool in between the crosscut and backsaws? (front row, third from right)?

Take down toolbox Framing Square in its pouch.
    Jr.

Harry---Thanks for the pics.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Harry,

Sounds like a fun project! This is going to be a great thread to follow. I would love to participate, but dont even come close to having the required tools, and certainly dont have the skills to use them even if I had them.

Kudos for wanting to pass along your neander skills and help out others.

Jonathan

A jack is a #5 (or 5-1/4 or 5-1/2), right.

I have a Stanley #5 (probably be parting with it soon) and a LN 5-1/2 I just got used.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil
    .....I don't have any of the modern fancy high dollar modern made tools as I have no need for them, nor can I afford them. A well tuned older tool works just as well. ....
    Harry, I love that line because it is so true!

I have been watching with interest to see what you were up to. I have seen your bench before and decided I wanted to build a couple. Now that I know what your up to I am going to have to find a REAL router now. Of course the biggest challenge is finding a peice of wood around here worthy of this project. No small task!

I have the tools, I have the technology fire away Harry.

Brilliant, this thread is just brilliant. I was going to knock up a quick sawhorse, now I'll use it as training.
    Brilliant Harry.

Jasper (virtual apprentice)

I'm in to if it's ok!

I am new to this forum, I normally post on another but the traffic over there has been very light as of late. I have been reading the treads over here for awhile and figured this was a good time to jump in.

I have most all tools that are needed with the exception of the brace bits. I have the brace just not the bits.
    I have a stanley 71 router but it only has the 3/8 striaght blade and is the model that does not have depth stop, is that ok. I have not used it since I got it.

I have some utility grade 8\4 oak I will use.

Thanks,
    Bob

That's find Bob, just jump right in, you can use twist drills or whatever you have, this project is for you the ppeple of the Haven, my posts are just a guideline to using neander tools to work with.

Have fun.
    Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell
    I am new to this forum, I normally post on another but the traffic over there has been very light as of late. I have been reading the treads over here for awhile and figured this was a good time to jump in.

I have most all tools that are needed with the exception of the brace bits. I have the brace just not the bits.
    I have a stanley 71 router but it only has the 3/8 striaght blade and is the model that does not have depth stop, is that ok. I have not used it since I got it.

I have some utility grade 8\4 oak I will use.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob according to something I once saw in a Lee Valley catalogue you can use forstner drill bits in a brace, I have tried it and it works quite well, so if you happen to have those you are set.

James