Thread: First post

First post

This is my first attempt at a bandsawn box. I made it for my wife for Christmas. The primary wood is chestnut, with padauk handles. The finish is about 7 coats of an oil/varnish blend. The last 3 coats applied with wet/dry sandpaper down to 2000 grit. Please let me know anything I could have improved. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the Creek Paul! Good to have you aboard. Your first attempt at a Band Saw Box looks fine to me. The thing that really grabs ya is the finish, really nice. These are not the easiest things to accomplish, and for your first attempt, you did a fine job. Good wood choice as well. The Padauk pulls compliment the Chestnut nicely. I am sure your wife will be pleased with this gift. Keep up the nice work, and keep posting pictures.........we LIKE pictures! Merry Christmas!

Paul,
    Though you did a very nice job, first bandsaw box or not, there is one glaring improvement that could be made. You could have sent it to me so I could give it to MY wife!
    Very nice.
    I hope you realize you have probably ruined a day or so for me as now I have to go back to the shop and give this bandsaw box deal a try....

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see what happens when you "get experience"!
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Paul

Welcome. Nice job on the box. Its one of the things on my list. I think the only thing holding me back is way too much to sand. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Quiram
    Paul

Welcome. Nice job on the box. Its one of the things on my list. I think the only thing holding me back is way too much to sand. Thanks for sharing.

Terry
    Pssst! Terry, oscillating-spindle sander! PC-121 table-mounted would do the trick!

Paul, welcome to SMC! Great box...damn, I need a bandsaw. How did you come about the Chestnut? That is a rare domestic wood but absolutely gorgeous!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Pssst! Terry, oscillating-spindle sander! PC-121 table-mounted would do the trick!

Paul, welcome to SMC! Great box...damn, I need a bandsaw. How did you come about the Chestnut? That is a rare domestic wood but absolutely gorgeous!

Chris

Yeah, an OSS would have come in handy. Unfortunately, I don't have one. I used my 12" Jet bandsaw (which I would love to upgrade), a hand rasp, and a handheld belt sander clamped upside down in my workmate. Where there's a will, there's a way!

The chestnut came from an old, old house my wife's stepfather owned. When it was demolished, we realized all the construction lumber(studs, joists, etc) was chestnut! We each now have a shedfull of the stuff. Removing the nails is quite a challenge! This stuff is hard as a rock.