Thread: Leigh FMT

Leigh FMT

I would appreciate input from owners of the leigh FMT jig of any specific experiences you might have. I am wondering what its strengths and limitations are in practical usage situations. In particular I am starting work on a new bedroom set in the arts and crafts style, and this looks like it could allow the work to go quickly.

Paul
    I've had mine a little over a year now and I love it. There are a few limitations you will have to overcome like the learning curve, it took me a while to get it down but now that I have done some I got it down and it is rare that I break out the manual. there are a few others but they are small and easy to overcome with a little thought. I would recommend downloading the manual from thier site and reading it thuroughly. I do a lot of M/T but if I didn't I think I would still opt to for a FMT because when you start adding up what it takes to get a nice mortise machine and a good jig to use on the TS if you opt go that route it still is a large purchase and for the difference in price I really like the FMT its easy to set up once you get the hang of it and small to store.
    One thing I would caution is if you do not already have a router with a very accurate and smooth plunge then I would look into getting one. I had the PC but it was not smooth enough for the FMT for me so I went with a Dewalt, I also hear the Bosch have a smooth plunge.
    Larry

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.

FMT plus and minus

I've had the FMT for a few years. I like it, but I don't love it. Wind up using it about 50% of the time when I do mortise and tenon.

Strengths:
    1. One setup does both mortise and tenon.
    2. If you take the time to fiddle with a few test pieces, you can get a perfect fit.
    3. Split or double tenons are a snap.
    4. Angled tenons, used in chairs for instance, are a snap
    5. The user guide and Leigh's technical support are first rate.

Weaknesses:
    1. It is pricey.
    2. Being router based, it has all the evils that come with routers: loud, messy, IMHO more dangerous than a dedicated mortiser.
    3. Dust control is very weak.
    4. It takes a lot of fussing to get it set up and calibrated. Probably not worth it for a small number of joints.
    5. Even though the machined parts of the jig provide great precision, you still have to pay very close attention when you clamp a piece of stock in to be sure it is square against the fence and set at exactly the right height.

Like most M&T operations, it is essential that your stock is milled very consistently. I wouldn't put this down as a weakness, though, because the same is true of most methods.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Pc---

I just purchased the Leigh FMT a few weeks ago--I also purchased a Festool 1400 plunge router because I didn't have one yet (a plunge router that is...) . I did ask a number of members on SMC -including Jesse Cloud, their thoughts....well my thoughts and why I bought it:
    1. A benchtop Mortiser costs $300 +/-; FMT $700; free standing $1200+
    2. For Tenons, -most need either a TS or another tool $50 to $250
    2. The FMT is very well build and designed;
    3. Very light 30 lbs and easy to store & transport;others 275 to 500 lbs
    4. Once set-up is done, then easy to make many
    5. Many M & T options-doubles, angles etc, etc.
    6. With FMT, all M & T are rounded...
    7. Leigh has GREAT Customer Service and Tech Support.
    8. Once you figure-out how to use the FMT, it is easy to use...
    9. A good friend of mine has the General Tilt & the PM Floor-he just ordered a FMT from Lee Valley-I am glad that I bought it.
    Phil

Leigh FMT

I recently found out that Leigh will be introducing serveral new templates for the FMT at the IWF, a square tenon, a template that is 90 degrees to the current ones and a template for louvered doors.
    I use my fmt constantly.
    Randy

Randy...

Do you know if the FMT will come with these new templates or will they
    be extras/add-ons?
    Thanks,
    Phil

I've had my FMT for over a year now and I really like it. Learning curve is easy and the more I use it the more new things I learn to do with it. Great quality and I'm looking forward to the new templates.

Phil, I suspect it will be available either way. Or it may remain an add on. Not having a table saw, the FMT is really almost essential for me. I used a horizontal router for some time, but as others mentioned, repeatability of the FMT is great.

I also created a butt hinge plate for mine. Leigh said they would improve my idea and come out with one. I have not seen it listed. It is really handy.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn
    Do you know if the FMT will come with these new templates or will they
    be extras/add-ons?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Leigh FMT - New Templates

I wouldn't know if the new templates would be included - a guess would say that they will be extra add ons. A call to Leigh should get you the answer.
    One reason that I like Leigh is that I can call them from time to time and ask about new features - they always share futures info and I appreciate that.
    I'm personally looking forward to having square templates as I also like to do some mission stuff.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Ferguson
    I recently found out that Leigh will be introducing serveral new templates for the FMT at the IWF, a square tenon, a template that is 90 degrees to the current ones and a template for louvered doors.
    I use my fmt constantly.
    Randy
    Could you describe how the 90 degree template would work?
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

Leigh FMT

The current templates allow you to make a m/t joint that is along the left and right axis of the jig. It is my understanding that one of the new templates will allow us to make a m/t joint that is oriented front to back of the jig. Put another way, the new template has its guide rotated 90 degrees to the current ones - at least that's my understanding after a brief conversation with Leigh. There have been a few times when I have wished the jig had this capability - If this is important please call them to make sure I understood correctly...they are very easy to talk to - Cheers - Randy

Thanks for the reply Randy. I just couldn't picture the setup in my mind.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.