Thread: Can I paint over lacquer

Question Can I paint over lacquer

We have a set of old sitting room tables that LOML wants to replace. I convinced her to try refinishing them to get a new look (I know mistake number one). To cut the long story short, I showed her a few finished samples on the actual work surface. After going back and forth a few times we decided the painted look was better. In the process I have ended up with one end table with water based stain and lacquer clear coat, which will now have to be painted.

Can I just sand the lacquer to create a scratch pattern for better grip and paint over, or am I better off sanding the whole thing off. The table top is about 20"X22" so it's not a very large surface. But sanding is not a very exciting componant of woodworking either.

If it matters the tables are pine.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I'd suggest sanding all the lacquer off

I'd just scuff sand, clean, then use a bonding primer. Go to a paint store for their recommendation.

But I've never painted anything before ( <--- statement dripping with sarcasm).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

There is not problem with overcoating lacquer with an oil based paint or varnish. Just scuff sand with 320 paper and go at it.
    Howie.........

zahid, what type of paint? cured lacquer is compatable with most oils so scuffing, priming and painting is okay...i wouldn`t use latex anything on a table but it`ll stick too. some of the automotive paints aren`t compatable with nitrocellouse but most are with cab acrylic. or you could shoot tinted lacquer with little or no prep work......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    zahid, what type of paint?
    Anything I can get off the borg in "Espresso". I have a can that I used on the other table, not sure what the chemical composition is. But as you said if oil based is compatible with lacquer, I'll go get one of those.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Just a thought but another possible option is to shoot with a coat of dewaxed shellac as a barrier coat and paint over the shellac. I have always heard that "shellac sticks to everything and everything sticks to shellac".