Thread: History Stick

History Stick

I’ve been trying to get back into the shop and get a few things done. I saw a project in the last Woodcraft magazine called a “History Stick”. It’s made to mark your child’s height on it instead of on the door jamb. (so the record doesn’t disappear if you paint or move)
    I thought it was a neat idea, and my little man is growing so fast, I figured it was time to make one.
    I resawed a piece of curly soft maple I had and went to town. The scrolling is mediocre, and the carving could be better (much) but it was fun to try new things. Anyhow, I figure with a little practice, I may get good enough to make a few Christmas presents for family.

Wes

PS: It’s Woodcraft vol. 2/no. 12 Project 52
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Wes!

You gave me something to do this Sunday!!!

Take care,

Pete

3. Great idea!

My little feller needs one of these. Thanks for the idea. I will have to try to move the early markings from the door-jamb over to it!

Hey, kewel project/idea!!! I may have to pick out a board and make a couple of those, too!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Now you've done it! Added another project with a certain sense of urgency . My son is 15 months and growing fast, thanks for the idea.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised at some of the articles in Woodcraft. Not rocket science, but "Gee, I wish I had thought of that!" kinda projects. The author is Ken Kupsche. His inspiration came from a familiar dilemma - he had to paint the trim.

Wes

Nice idea, Wes. I was just thinking the other day about marking the height of my 19 month old little boy on a doorway, but couldn't decide which one. Now I don't have to choose. Thanks
    Keel McDonald ><>

Thank you Wes. I have a child due in 8 weeks and I don't have enough to do already! Nice project. Peter

Excellent...my boss just had his first kid yersterday (boy, 7 lb, 8 oz, 19") and this would make the next promotion go very smooth....

I just had some thoughts. What does the article suggest about a marking height--i.e. you would need some reference to the floor if the growing stick needed to be moved. I was thinking a contrasting wood might make a nice reference locator...even wedge shaped to a point if you wanted to be really precise.

How do they mark the stick? It looks like there is room for a date but I guess that would have to be hand-written?

Finally, how long do they recommend to make the stick? Most kids are probably around the 2' height when they are walking comfortably. Figure 6' max for an adult/teenage (genetics withstanding of course). So, maybe 4' long?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-16-2006 at 4:21 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris,
    I made mine only 2' long - Sam is already 41". I figure by the time he is taller than that, he won't be interested in having his height marked. On the height, I wrote a note on the back how high the bottom of the stick was mounted.
    As for marking the stick, we're just going with the old ruler on the head and a pencil line - oh, and a date as mentioned.

Wes

Wes- Really nice! So do you leave it unfinished? What will you use to make the growth marks?

Thanks for sharing.
    The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. ~Edward Phelps

Jim,
    I used dewaxed shellac and rubbed it out with a 3M pad. We just use pencil or a pen to mark the height and date.

Wes