Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique products you have made with your laser?

Unique products you have made with your laser?

just wondering what unique or odd products you have made for your laser for you or your customers ?

I have one customer that has me cut holes in either end of tounge depressors to make part of an educational construction kit. And for another I have made StratoCaster shaped business cards from acrylic.

I made rosettes for dulcimer sound boards.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-20-2006 at 11:51 AM.

I mark Power Links (connecting links for racing shells) for Mr Muser, altho a google doesn't find him right now.

I cut leather for Beads and Billiards Pocket Chalkers, much stinky.

I cut and mark parts for Cryptex.org and am doing so as I type.

I've put the Ten Commandments on limestone.

I cut little mirrors out for clip on mirrors that fir hard hats.

Michael
    70 watt Epilog Legend 24
    Bought new in December 2002

Smile

I do laser marquetry. Here's one I finished recently:

ave F.

dave, how did you get the colors in ?

as for me I've done necklaces and earrings for the fashion industry, architectural home scale models, bracelets, keychains... not so unique stuff tho.

Dave:

My compliments. I'd like to know your color secret as well.

Here's one that was my worst nightmare job, did 250 of them. The box was provided, 1/4" walnut, I "just" cut the logos front and top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Just curious Joe, what made this your worst nightmare job?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McKee
    Just curious Joe, what made this your worst nightmare job?
    First you had to place a sacraficial piece of wood inside to keep the stray beam from hitting the inside of the box (painted orange). Then apply transfer tape to the front and top, inside and out, to prevent scorch marks. Then this was real solid walnut, so the grain and density varied between all of them. Some would cut right through beautifully with one pass, but on the same settings another might not go through at all or only on parts of the logo. If you made a second pass at the same power/speed it would burn through some of the areas between letters which were very close together. In some cases a cut out letter would fall through then catch fire from the stray beam and scorch the inside of the box.

I told the customer that if they want more of these I will have to get the box sides to cut before they are glued together.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    First you had to place a sacraficial piece of wood inside to keep the stray beam from hitting the inside of the box (painted orange). Then apply transfer tape to the front and top, inside and out, to prevent scorch marks. Then this was real solid walnut, so the grain and density varied between all of them. Some would cut right through beautifully with one pass, but on the same settings another might not go through at all or only on parts of the logo. If you made a second pass at the same power/speed it would burn through some of the areas between letters which were very close together. In some cases a cut out letter would fall through then catch fire from the stray beam and scorch the inside of the box.

I told the customer that if they want more of these I will have to get the box sides to cut before they are glued together.
    Coulda been worse: at least it had an open side on it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

My "customers" consist mostly of people on my Christmas list, but here's some stuff from last year:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25568
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25789
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27772
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28221
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30425

I also use the laser to cut the finger-jointed sides for the boxes I make.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Harry/Mike, I used colored veneers. I won a small stack of them in a prize draw at our local marquetry group meeting recently, plus I had some from B & B Rare Woods already. I think they are dyed with Rit Dye - something anyone could do at home I believe. I may have a go at it myself someday. I like the idea of coloring some of the more figured veneers - I have some ideas for some larger, more spectacular, pictures with those.

Cheers,
    ave F.

Looks pretty thick. What Wattage would you think it would require to cut that?

OK, I have one for you that I may be doing. If anyone else has done it tell me how.

This guy owns a bed & breakfast, and wants me to make key chains out of acrylic. The problem is he wants 2 colors, one on each side (laminated). So if I use opaque colors just engrave and cement together. If he decides on translucent or clear. I'd have to paint the backs, engrave the fronts, and maybe use clear thin DS tape to put them together. Unfortunately
    though he was talking about translucent colors, so something has to be in between to block seeing the other side. Maybe 3 layers of 1/8", or two of 1/8" and a 1/16" blocking layer in the center?

Sammamish, WA