Thread: Help find a jointer knife sharpening service

Help find a jointer knife sharpening service

I finally got around to pulling my dull jointer knifes. I thought, hey I can sharpen these puppies.

Well... , can anyone recommend a service that will sharpen these for me? One has a small nick and the others are just dull. Looks like these blades have never been sharpened before.

BTW, the are from a 6" Delta 37-280.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Go to your local lumber yard where most of the contractors & cabinet shops in your area do business or call a couple of cabinet shops & ask where they get their jointer & planer blades sharpened.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I know it seems wasteful to throw away your old knives, but I have found that I can buy new ones cheaper. It will cost somewhere around $1/inch to have knives sharpened and unless you find someone local you will have shipping both directions. I have a set of the T1 HSS knives from Global Tooling http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html
    in my planer and jointer and have found them to be very good. For a 6" jointer you should get a set for around $17.
    Besides, you don't have to throw the old knives away, grind them to shape and they make good blades for marking knives.

Jointer knives are almost a disposable item, but not quite. I would first buy a replacement set and then have current ones sharpened. Dynamic Saw ( dynamicsaw.com) in Buffalo NY charges $0.50 per inch, or $9.00 for a set of three six inch knives. By having an extra set, you don't have downtime while waiting for sharpenig. Ship then by priority mail with a confirmation of delivery. Due to low cost, I don't think I would buy insurance though.

Thanks for the help. I've got a new set on order and will ship the old ones out.

Nathan

Hi folks. I'm a long-time lurker, but haven't posted before. The comments above are helpful and Bruce makes a particularly good point. Another source for reasonable priced sharpening is Scott Whiting, Scott's Sharpening Service, in Arizona, 800-594-7262.

Some time back, just as I was planning on sending my only set of jointer knives out to Scott, someone else pointed me to Global Tooling. When I talked w/ Scott, he commented on Global's incredible pricing that makes shipping him a single set for sharpening not much of a deal. So I bought two new sets for my 6" Delta instead. Now when I have two dull sets, I can ship both out for sharpening and still have one good set for using, no down time, at a savings over buying new.

Take care.

Bill.
    Last edited by Bill Nance; 08-28-2006 at 12:53 AM.

Bill,
    Welcome to the creek. Have heard a lot of good stuff about Scott and look forward to usingt him in the future. He is also amember her at SMC.