Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me Choose a New Table Saw Fence

I've had a Vega U26 for several years now. It is a great fence.

While I really like the beyes... one think that I really like about the Vega is that it is really light in comparison. Taking it on/off and hanging it on the wall when not in use is a peice of cake. ...and while it is "light", I think it manages to avoid being a "light-weight". It has held up well for me under what I would call "heavy hobbiest" usage.

I don't think you could go worong with either choice, though.

I have the Bies. and am very happy with it. I went from the bottom shelf Delta table saw to a Unisaw about 11 years ago. I occasionally run the indicator up and down the fence and every time it lines up perfect. That was eleven years ago AND yesterday!!!!

Gary K.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    sam, i`ve owned both the vega pro and the bies. pro and i`ll take a bies. any day over the vega, in fact i`ll never even think about owning another vega fence as long as i live! they have a little brass wear strip that the cam rides on for locking the fence.....this wonderfull invention cost me several hundred dollars in wasted sheetgoods before i chucked the whole fence and bought a bies., problem was the fence sliding during cuts. vega service said the wear strip needed replaced (2-months old) and sent another piece of bent brass that also slipped on the rail.......the cherry ply was my tough luck......02 tod
    Tod,

I had the same problem when I first got mine but the problem isn't/wasn't the brass strip, it's the cam on the handle. When delivered sometimes the cam has what looks like paint over spray but it is really hard. This material prevents the cam from applying even pressure on the strip and from traveling far enough to apply enough force. If you remove the brass strip and polish the cam with some fine sandpaper you'll get at least another inch of travel on the handle and the fence will be rock solid. Vega told me it was the brass strip as well but I didn't believe them...and I was right
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Esposito
    Tod,

I had the same problem when I first got mine but the problem isn't/wasn't the brass strip, it's the cam on the handle. When delivered sometimes the cam has what looks like paint over spray but it is really hard. This material prevents the cam from applying even pressure on the strip and from traveling far enough to apply enough force. If you remove the brass strip and polish the cam with some fine sandpaper you'll get at least another inch of travel on the handle and the fence will be rock solid. Vega told me it was the brass strip as well but I didn't believe them...and I was right
    bill, my experience with vega was years ago...and needless to say i`m soured on their fences. glad you where able to make yours work...tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Sam,
    I have both a home shop (16 yrs) and a commercial (1 yr) Biesmeyer. No problems with either. For hobby usage the home shop is plenty of fence. The comercial is just built a little larger and of heavier stuff. I would go for the best deal. Sometimes the Biesmeyer website has closeout/scratchndent.
    http://www.biesemeyer.com/specials/index.htm
    There is no guarntee that what you want will be there. If you are in no hurry this ccould be an option. The fence and rails are sold seperatelly. Watch out for the freight charges because it can be a deal breaker.

Danny Buie
    Baton Rouge

Guys, thanks for all the great info so far. I think Tod is the only one I've heard of so far (both here and elsewhere) who's had a major beef about either fence.

Amazon is running some cool specials right now, but they don't carry all the fence systems I'm interested in. For example, they carry the Vega U50, but not the Pro 50; and they carry the Commercial Biesemeyer 50", but not the Home Shop 52". And neither of the systems they show as being "available" are in stock.

After the discounts, I can get the Biesemeyer Commercial 50" for $264.99 before tax, with free shipping. Or I can get the Vega U50 for $199.72 pre-tax, free shipping. I really wish there was someplace I could go locally to try them both in person before making a decision, but there isn't one, as far as I know.

I still haven't made up my mind yet, so by all means keep the replies coming! (Gotta love this place!)
    Sam/Atlanta

Sam, I got a used 52" Biesmeyer that's just taking up space if your interested in used........ Tried to PM you but your box is full, PM or e-mail if interested
    Tony

Tony:

Sorry about that. I'm sending a PM now.
    Sam/Atlanta

Thanks!

Well, I made a decision and placed my order for a....

Biesemeyer Commercial 50"!

The only thing I think I'll miss by choosing this over the Vega is the micro-adjust. I might try out Rockler's little doodad and see if that will work for me.

After applying all the discounts, and a spare $25 certificate that SWMBO had lying around, I'm getting it for $240, delivered. That was by far the best deal I could find. Unfortunately, it's on back-order right now.

When it arrives, I'll be sure to post a very photo-laden gloat!

Thanks again for all the great info, folks.
    Sam/Atlanta

Good choice Sam......... congrat's!

Tony
    Tony