Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Jet Sharpener (aka Tormek)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Farris
    TORMEK has shared its test data with me (and every other dealer in the United States) so that we have some way to address the inevitable questions of comparison that will come up.
    Jeff, perhaps you could share the test data with the rest of us and let us draw our own conclusions regarding the comparisons?

Otherwise, this thread may not end well.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Jarrell
    Jeff, perhaps you could share the test data with the rest of us and let us draw our own conclusions regarding the comparisons?
    I predict that this won't happen. Please prove me a poor prognosticator.

Sure lots of Hub Bub in here over tormek and jet.

Jeff. Your test results are all from Tormek?

Shouldn't there be an independent testing done on the tormek, and the jet?
    Seems one sided to me. I own neither one.

OK I have been sitting on the sidelines for a while so I'll pipe in my input. It seems that an independent evaluation is called for. I volunteer my shop as a test bed for this test. I have neither system but if each manufacturers will send me a system I promise to do a fair and impartial evaluation. I will test the systems on my hand planes, chisels, turning tools and my planer. So now I am challenginging each manufacturer to put up or shut up....

What's the retail price of the JET version? I am looking for a sharpening system, but I already ruled out the Tormek because of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Rudd
    I predict that this won't happen. Please prove me a poor prognosticator.
    Proven.

TVI document

Notes:
    You'll need Adobe Acrobat or another .pdf file reader.
    The conversions from Newton/Meters to Foot/Pounds are off by one decimal point (move it right).
    Jeff Farris

Quote Originally Posted by Jim A. Smith
    Sure lots of Hub Bub in here over tormek and jet.

Jeff. Your test results are all from Tormek?

Shouldn't there be an independent testing done on the tormek, and the jet?
    Seems one sided to me. I own neither one.
    Should there be (truly) independent testing? Sure. But somebody has to commission it. I wish all of you could meet Torgny Jansson, the owner of TORMEK. Ten minutes with him and all your cynical suspicions about the fairness of these tests would be laid to rest. He is one of the most honest and genuine people that I have ever met. The lab where the tests were done wasn't assembled for this test. He has been torture testing and improving the TORMEK for 27 years, without being spurred by competition.
    Jeff Farris

Thank you for posting that info and proving me a poor prognosticator (my dad always said there was no future in it).

A couple of questions.

What's the recommended torque load for sharpening?
    The Jet wheel wears 30 times faster and the fine side of the grading stone wears 20 times faster when used with the Jet wheel? Was the coarse side tested?
    Were the rockwell numbers for the steel in the various test grinds measured for apples to apples comparison?
    Was the same force applied to both machines for the steel removal test?
    Stability of the machine...is this an issue under real world force application vs. the high pressure tests conducted?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Farris
    Proven.

TVI document

Notes:
    You'll need Adobe Acrobat or another .pdf file reader.
    The conversions from Newton/Meters to Foot/Pounds are off by one decimal point (move it right).
    This thread delivers!
    David

Terre

FWIW I share some of your concerns but I think we need to evaluate Jeffs response constructively. He has information which is potentially valuable to people investigating certain products. He also has a commercial interest in the choice that people make in that product category. I think his posts in this thread have probably gone a bit too far as well. But he has a bit of a track record of trying to behave within the bounds that we have established for our little community so I will forgive him this mistake. The only other way that he could tell anybody reading his posts that he has the interest he has is by putting a line in each post that he makes which is not significantly different from adding it in his sig.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 09-26-2006 at 6:30 PM. Reason: removed off topic portion

Thumbs up This thread is what it's all about...

This thread has done exactly what it was supposed to in many ways. Jeff's contributions to this topic have been very valuable and worthwhile. Everybody has to make a living and Jeff happens to have an avocation that is closely matched with the objectives of the forum. I have been amazed that this thread hasn't been pulled by the moderators because it seems everytime a truely spirited debate takes place (usually around saw stop or overseas inports) the posts goes up in smoke.

Now, can we get someone from Jet to give us their take on this discussion?

I'm glad Jeff added the sig line so we know his motives. He's got valuable information to provide and to exclude him completely would be a shame. I think all vendors should be required to identify themselves in that fashion.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 09-26-2006 at 6:32 PM. Reason: removed off topic content

Terre,
    Disclosure of an organizational or corporate affiliation should not be chastised here; I'd love to know with whom I'm dealing. Please don't scare these good people away from doing this in the future.

Yours,
    David
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 09-26-2006 at 6:34 PM. Reason: removed off thread topic content
    David

Terre,

We (the membes) run a nice polite self-moderated community.

Advertising is not permitted. No where did I see Jeff say TORMEK is the greatest buy from me me me !

We have invited manufactures to set up there own section of the forums to provide information.

Several of Dino's (EZ system) early post were very confornataional. He has grown into a great asset for the site.

Disclosure is good all the way around and information from the mfg or rep is welcome.

IMNSHO this thread is pages longer than it should be due to senseless bickering and I'm recommending it be locked.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 09-26-2006 at 6:37 PM.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Terre,

The sig line is the disclosure you asked for and complies with the terms of service. The links that you refer to do NOT comply with the terms of service.

We (the membes) run a nice polite self-moderated community.

Advertising is not permitted. No where did I see Jeff say TORMEK is the greatest buy from me me me !

We have invited manufactures to set up there own section of the forums to provide information.

Several of Dino's (EZ system) early post were very confornataional. He has grown into a great asset for the site.

Disclosure is good all the way around and information from the mfg or rep is welcome.

IMNSHO this thread is pages longer than it should be due to senseless bickering and I'm recommending it be locked.
    If this gets locked, nothing with get hashed out.
    I would like to see an independent review of both.
    With the Jet being so new on the market, this has probably not been done yet.