Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help coiling a bandsaw blade please?

Question I need help coiling a bandsaw blade please?

Hey guys, I have a few blades for my bandsaw that need to be coiled for storage reasons. I have seen the tips on how to do it by placing one foot on it but I don't like that option as I am scared of damaging the blade or possibly ruining the set of the teeth in areas. If anyone could direct me on how to do it easily, I woulld greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Kevin

Kevin,

See if this helps,

Per
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Kevin; Drive down here, I'll give you a hands-on lesson. No charge!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON Canada

It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

Here is a short video on how to do it properly. Click on the first image for the Windows Media File.

Al

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Al, that's exactly how I have been doing it for 30+ years. Everything from little 14" blades to large industrial blades. I haven't damaged a blade yet. Kevin, if you are worried about ruining the set of the teeth use a piece of wood as shown in the video.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Kevin,

have you ever folded one of those silver sunshades for your windshield? It is done the same way.

1. Hold the blade with the teeth facing away from you, at the 4 & 8 o'clock position (like a steering wheel)
    2.Thumbs against the back edg of the blade (thumbs up) roll your wrists inward and your thumbs downward (so they are pointing away from you)

This causes the loop to double over and also cross over itself (by pushing forward and in towards the middle.

Keep rolling your wrists inward and the loop will wrap down towards teh floor and then back up towards you and right to your hands, making three loops of blade. Once you figure it out it is very easy. Start with a small blade first.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Blunt
    ...placing one foot on it but I don't like that option as I am scared of damaging the blade or possibly ruining the set of the teeth ...
    The foot is just an extra hand for the moment to keep that part of the blade down until the other parts turn into the matching loops. Don't step hard or prevent motion... just use your foot to keep that portion of the blade in that general area.

I would agree, start with a small blade first if you can. Once you see it work the first time, it's like magic!

I use a very similiar method as Per's post.
    But I don't use my foot. Band never touches the floor.
    I flip it up under. Hard to explain I guess

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Thanks Again!
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43638
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

11. for thin blades grab the blade, let it touch the floor, step on it and rotate your arm while you follow it down.
    For thicker blades like 2" resaws first you make your medical is paid up then - - - -

And this is one workshop task where gloves can come in handy!

Tyler I use the method where you put your foot on the blade, but I put a piece of wood under it so the blade won't be damaged. Dick B.

Thanks to all who posted with their versions of how to do this. I now have 3 131.5" blades nicely coiled up and hanging from the ceiling. What I would do without you guys sometimes I'll never know!! Oh and by the way, I found the version AL provided in the short video worked best for me.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Blunt
    Thanks to all who posted with their versions of how to do this. I now have 3 131.5" blades nicely coiled up and hanging from the ceiling. What I would do without you guys sometimes I'll never know!! Oh and by the way, I found the version AL provided in the short video worked best for me.
    Kevin
    Those blades sound like the ones for the Grizzly 17-inch BS, which is the one I have. I am sure glad it helped. Now, enjoy!!!

Al