Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire! Fire!

I agree

I agree ... I'm going to get a fire extinguisher for my shop (basement) also!

Glad there was no major damage. We had one started by a coffee maker about 15 years ago and it was a real pain. Insurance company was real good but we had to replace nearly everything in the house because of smoke damage. The wife actually got sick of shopping. (hasn't happened since though ) I've got a 5 lb. dry chemical extinguisher in the shop but I am thinking of getting a large water extinguisher as well.

If you ever have to use a dry chemical extinguisher clean it up immediately. I'd rather leave a pool of water on my table saw for a week then leave that stuff on overnight. It makes an awful mess.

Good toss with the trimmer and getting all the gas powered lawn stuff out of the gar- err shop will make things a lot safer.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

I was advised by the people that service our fire extinguishers here at the apartment complexes not to ever purchase cheap plastic valved extinguishers because they will fail to hold pressure & about the time you need them they won't work. The person that told me this explained that as plastic breaks down it shrinks & he showed me some older plastic valved extinguishers that had leaked down & we examined them along side metal valved extinguishers & you could clearly see why they had leaked down.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Funny, I asked the wife to pick up a couple of fire extinguishers last night. She mumbled something about it not being in the budget!! Guess that will have to hit the shop budget then.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's always a more enjoyable tale to tell when the ending doesn't make you cringe.
    Matt

Sorry to hear about the fire Matt. I was lucky I didn't have one with my electrics.
    Glad everything turned out wewll......and just think, no weed eating for a while
    Reg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

If I remember right, there are three basic types, A,B and C.
    Bit foggy now, but I belive the C rated one is for most all types of fires.

Mine are rated for A,B,C on them.

Al