Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you wear a respirator with a beard?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Well. I'm not shaving, not planning on buying a zipper suit with a hose trailing behind me, and I am staying in the shop.
    I have no health issues with dust.
    Yet....according to some...

I have a beard and I wear a mask type respirator. It does a good job of reducing the dust I breathe. The fit is such that if I cover the filters and breathe in the mask sucks up against my face; there is still some leakage around my beard. It makes all the difference to my sinuses when I work in the shop. As for long term fine dust that may find it's way past the filters that's another issue all together and one I have yet to address.

BTW, I do have a good dust collection system and still use the mask every time I'm in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher
    That's a lot of bother what with wearing a bubble over your head hauling a air hose around and trying to play in the shop at the same time.
    It's no bother at all, and it sure beats the heck out of reconstructive surgery, dentalwork, or emphysema.

Bill

CPAP for respirator

Many of us with sleep apthnea (sp?) wear a mask at night. The machine furnishes air under slight pressure to keep airways open. The mask portion is similar to a fighter pilot's face mask. New the machines aren't cheap, but many people have trouble wearing the mask and return them to medical supply houses. Then they become "used " and are a lot cheaper. Get a new mask and a used machine. Locate the machine away from dust sources, or in a filter box. Run hose to face mask. I have used a CPAP for over three years and have a full beard.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Jesse, I worked in a plutonium facility once and had to be fitted for a Scott Air-Pac. The first thing I had to do was lose the beard. Sorry, they need a tight seal to be effective.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

As has already been mentioned, Hartville Tool sells the Resp-O-Rator and Resp-O-Rator Jr. I have the Jr. version and I'm very happy with it. The only drawback I have with it is the nose clip. Because it's made of wire it isn't the most comfortable but it's not too bad. It's easily bendable to fit your nose but after a while my nose still gets slightly sore. Most of the time I don't wear the nose clip and just concentrate on breathing through my mouth. Some people have already accused me of being a mouth breather anyway so... Without the nose clip it's no problem at all but if I'm wearing it for extended periods I find I have to remember to not breath through my nose. I haven't tried one yet but I'll bet one of those swimming nose clips would be much more comfortable. Check them out at Hartville Tool here http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10834 and here http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10997 . I'm surprised these aren't more popular since they're so cheap and work so well.

Bruce

Have to tell you---I invented the mouthpiece Resp-O-Rator. I don't have a beard but made it to fit under a full face shield. We have upgraded the filters from 99% to to the full HEPA type. That is a minimum efficiency of 99.97% at 0.3 microns.

It is perfect seal to your face even with a full beard and the best particulate filter made. At any cost!

The Resp-O-Rator $50.00, a face shield $20.00, and ear plugs $2.00 Total protection. Sure beats $275.00 plus no little batteries to charge, light weight, runs for more than 4 hours, you can get 5 sets of filters for what theirs cost on and on. I made it for myself. I am cheap and want the best.

Bend the stainless steel wire in the nose clip to just close your nose (it's not a glue joint) or better yet just breathe through your mouth. Swimmers snorkel tubs don't have nose clips.

Most of all, whatever kind of protection you use check the filter efficiency and micron size. Fine dust filter, final filter, etc. may help but actually mean nothing.
    Last edited by James Duxbury; 11-05-2006 at 7:29 PM.

8. I have copd (mild) and am on oxygen at 8000 feet. Does anyone know of a face mask that one can attach a canulla to rather than a pump and filter?

Walt