Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oneida Portable Dust Collector

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    I just ordered a Dust Deputy a few days ago. Should be here Tuesday. I haven't been this psyched about cleaning up ever.
    I'd be very interested in a mini review of the Dust Deputy. It looks like an interesting concept.

Blog Entries
    It's your punishment for not coughing up the pics! ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Rudd
    I'd be very interested in a mini review of the Dust Deputy. It looks like an interesting concept.
    I will try to do one. I plan on using it to clean COLD EXTIGUISHED ash from my pellet stove as well as wood dust. I'm interested to see what happens.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Ferraro
    Hi Bob,

Please keep us posted with how this system works. I am in the same situation with zero room for a cyclone unit. The portable looks good, but I would like to have some real world feedback on performance. It is pricey, but the portability factor is key for me in my shop. BTW, you mentioned that it is a push/pull system for moving it around. I thought that there were handles on the side to facilitate this. Also, how was it shipped? Were you able to off-load it by yourself?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Scot
    Scot,

There are no handles supplied and will check to see if there is any available from Oneida - but that's doubtful. Having been moving it around a bit in the shop, handles should be supplied with this unit. Otherwise you are moving it by the fan housing. This is not a small unit and probably takes up as much space as the standard cylcones. The issue with me is the constant shuffling of the tools and the fact that I can place the unit outside the shop if I so choose.

Bob
    bob m

A picture

Since everyone seems reluctant to post a picture, I went to the Oneida web site and found one.

Here it is:

Oneida Portable.jpg

The unit looks good to me. If it had been available when I purchased my Oneida cyclone two years ago, I wold have seriously considered it.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes when you don't spend much for something and it works well . . . you think it works better than it does. That being said; I use the 5 gallon bucket cyclone lid ($20) as opposed to the Deputy ($120). I can empty the 5 gallon bucket a dozen times or so before I have to clean the dust 'talcum powder' out of the shop-vac filter so I was impressed.

The down side is that the bucket and the lid combined, don't weigh much. For around the shop use I cured this by tossing a brick in the bucket. For regular use I have a slam-bang shelf made from scrap mounted near the vac. A hole for the bucket with a bungee hold down and a little box to the side to hold all those vac attachments. Vac rolls underneath to save space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Bob,

I would follow-up with Oneida since the schematic below clearly states that there are pull handles. Also, I would really like to get feedback from you on system performance. Does it have enough CFM to collect everything from your planer/jointer/bandsaw? How does the suction compare to your previous cyclone? I have to shuffle my tools around the garage and need something portable too (that and I do no have a dedicated space that would allow a cyclone unit).

Thanks!

Scot,

I have never seen the unit with handles, not at the Atlanta show, not in the magazine pics and not in the instruction manual. This schematic is new to me. I will be in touch with Oneida regarding that. When pushing the unit from the housing, it feels top heavy and you feel your grip is not strong - it almost begs for the handles. I have not done any side by sides, but there is plenty of suction; more than my previous Oneida 2 hp non-commercial unit, so I have (almost/hopefully) no doubt that it can handles whatever my planer, bandsaw and jointer throw at it. I will be checking it out though.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I would follow-up with Oneida since the schematic below clearly states that there are pull handles. Also, I would really like to get feedback from you on system performance. Does it have enough CFM to collect everything from your planer/jointer/bandsaw? How does the suction compare to your previous cyclone? I have to shuffle my tools around the garage and need something portable too (that and I do no have a dedicated space that would allow a cyclone unit).

Thanks!

bob m

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Rudd
    Short review: Very good, works great and keeps the shop vac filter very clean. There was a recent review in one of the mags (wood mag.?) and after using mine I would agree with what the review said.

Hi Bob,

Please keep us posted with how this system works. I am in the same situation with zero room for a cyclone unit. The portable looks good, but I would like to have some real world feedback on performance. It is pricey, but the portability factor is key for me in my shop. BTW, you mentioned that it is a push/pull system for moving it around. I thought that there were handles on the side to facilitate this. Also, how was it shipped? Were you able to off-load it by yourself?

Thanks in advance for the information.

Scot
    Scot,

I just got an email from one of the managers oat Oneida and there are no handles for the portable unit, they will modify the schematic on their web-site. As I mentioned to him, I just don't see how these would have been hard/costly to manufacture and mount.
    He was nice enough to send me a reply email and said they will take a good look at it and see if this can be implemented and if so, do a retrofit. [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob Marino; 10-09-2006 at 3:41 PM.
    bob m

greetings y'all! i don't have the dust deputy, but i did buy the clearvue minicyclone several weeks ago. i finally had a chance to test it out while routing raised panel doors entirely out of mdf (yes, the rails and stiles too!). i would estimate that the minicyclone got approximately 85-90% of the dust after sealing up the router and creating a zero clearance fence for the bit. the nice thing about the clearvue is that you can see those mdf particles funneling downwards (but keep your eyes on the work, ok ) and you can see through into the five gallon bucket so you know when it's full. BTW, anyone know of a CLEAR five gallon bucket supplier?

you have to rout a circular lip in a piece of mdf or plywood to fit the bucket and then you attach the cyclone to this. you have to weigh down the lid with some lumber scraps to keep the entire contraption from tipping over. it looks like the one piece dust deputy would eliminate the hassle of cutting and assembly but you would not be able to see the dust levels inside.

try to connect the vacuum to the right ports! i mistakenly had them reversed and was on the verge of returning it until i watched the online video again! after i had it correctly positioned, the minicyclone did a remarkable job sucking up the mdf dust, preventing it from spewing all over the garage, the car and my wife's shoes - isn't that alone PRICELESS? BTW there was not a speck in the vacuum until the bucket started to overflow...