Thread: Mail order Purpleheart

Mail order Purpleheart

I know topics similar to this have been discussed before but here goes.

To make a long story short...

My usual local hardwood supplier (who deals mostly on a wholesale level to cabinet shops and contractors) has implemented a 50 board foot minimum on hardwood sales. (Isn't it great when a local company is bought out by a big, out-of-state company? Customer service ALWAYS improves, right?) At any rate, I use a fair amount of Purpleheart for a repeat order sort of project I do. I usually need about 10-12 BF of both purpleheart and walnut for this project. I can't affort to tie up several hundred dollars in purpleheart even though I will eventually use up 50 BF.

What sources do any of you recommend? I need to find a fairly reasonably priced source. Shipping purpleheart (it's really heavy) will about double the cost so economics is a factor.

The purpleheart I need can be about any length and/or width. I will be cut into pieces about 3/4" X 18" X 3". Thanks!
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

I have purchased a fair amount of different exotic species from these guys. Nice people to deal with and their prices are good. While 12-15 bf can most likely ship via UPS, they are a bit far from you. After shipping the 50 bf minimum may be the least expensive option. Paul

http://www.advantagelumber.com/

I know how you feel Royce, we're down to only one or two sources even here in Kansas City. Sounds to me like your choices are limited to either getting a few guys together and doing a small group buy, or using woodfinder to see if there is anything within a driving distance that would undercut the cost of shipping.

www.internetlumber.com

These guys have lots of stuff, including purpleheart...

hi Royce, I know that Hearne Hardwood located about 20 minutes from me in Oxford PA will ship all over. Great place very friendly. I don't know if they have a minimum.
    take care,
    John

Steve Wall at
    www.walllumber.com
    Shipping will cost from NC , but they always have good stuff at reasonable prices. On their site:
    Purple Heart Deep Purple. Very Dense

4/4 $4.00

8/4 $4.50

Jim

West Penn Hardwoods

West Penn Hardwoods, Olean, NY (west central NY) has purpleheart for roughly $4/bd. ft. The also have UPS packs of various sizes. They are extremely good to work with. If you don't see what you want on their web page (www.westpennhardwoods.com), give them a call. I have been well satisfied .
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Thanks!

Thanks for the leads folks. Some of your suggestions look like they have possibilities. Some of the 10, 15 or 20 BF packs look like just the ticket. Thanks again.
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

Royce

Wall lumber listed on an earlier post has purple heart at the lowest price I have found on the internet. I needed a bunch of 8/4 purple heart and there was not a problem with the purchase at all. They were very easy do deal with.

Quinn

Purple Heart

I have purchased purpleheart and walnut from this company several times.

http://www.woodworkerssource.net/

They also have free shipping for 10 and 20 BF packages.