Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuming with Ammonia - What Mask?

Fuming with Ammonia - What Mask?

I am planning to fume a quartersawn white oak (QSWO) sofa table I'm making. After a bit of a search, I've found some 29.5% ammonia and am making the tent big enough for the table as well as a couple of other pieces I'll build in the future.

I need a mask to protect myself from getting fumed and wonder if others are using the fuming technique and if so, what personal protective equipment do you use? Do you have a specific recommendation for a mask that will filter out the ammonia?

After talking to 3M, they recommend a full face mask that's pretty expensive. I'm also not sure I need full face coverage and would prefer a half mask. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Blaine

Blaine,

I've seen demonstrations of this done and a respirator with the appropriate filters was all that was worn - EXCEPT - do not forget eye protection!

Others more knowledgable than I can tell you what filter to use.
    I have been black and blue in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts with my own furniture. - Frank Lloyd Wright

I have been black and blue and bloody in some spot, somewhere, almost all my life from too intimate contacts while building my own furniture. - Rennie Heuer

For years people have called fuming very dangerous, and it is because of the ammonia. The whole thing with the tent and kids or animals, and then you must enter the tent. Anyway, I don't recall where I found this information, but the safest and easiest way to fume oak is to rent a box truck the size you need, load it with your furniture, place the pan of ammonia inside, close the tailgate and lock it. When it's done, open the tail gate and stand back. You could most likely rent a small truck for $20.00 from Hertz and the smell will be gone by the time you return it. You didn't hear this from me.

Richard

First of all, Richard, you crack me up.

Second, could someone tell a newbie what "fuming" is? What is it supposed to accomplish?

Hey Rob, I was serious.
    Fuming is putting white oak in an atmosphere with ammonia, as you can assume. It turns the white oak a warm brown in color. This method was used alot during the Arts and Crafts and Craftmans style periods of furniture building.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Hey Rob, I was serious.
    I figured. It was the last line that got me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Fuming is putting white oak in an atmosphere with ammonia, as you can assume. It turns the white a warm brown in color. This method was used alot during the Arts and Crafts and Craftmens periods of furniture building.

Richard
    Thanks!

Just checking.

Richard

Blaine, I have gone through the process of fuming white oak. One of the precautions that I took was in the design and construction of my containment tent. The pieces that are going to be exposed to the fumes must be placed on a surface that is solid enough to hold all items, these items must be raised off this surface in a manor that will allow the fumes to migrate completly around each item. Ammonia is a heavy fume, therefor it will fall to the lowest area first before filling the rest of the tent.
    When the tent is constructed, make yourself a hatch that is framed. Hinges are not needed, tape to top side to the hatch to the surrounding frame. Locate the hatch where you will be placing your container of ammonia. When you are ready to pour the ammonia into the container, have a roll of tape near were you are working. With your head outside of the tent, and wearing long gloves to protect your hands and arms,open the bottle in the tent, pour the ammonia into the container, leave the empty bottle in the tent after pouring. Quickly close the hatch and tape all open seams, recheck all other seams for leakage.
    If the items are left in the fumes for an extended period of time, like 72 hours, they will turn dark brown (depending on the amount of tannons in the oak) so pay attention to your wood.

Blaine
    A recomendation. If you decide to do some fuming notify your local Police Dept. Amonia is used in the manufacture of meth amphetemine and it would be a real pain to have a neighbor smell the amonia, call the cops and have a swat team show up at your door.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Blaine.

Most quality respirators have the ability to change the filters based on the hazard, in this case ammonia.

I suspect that 3m's recommendation for the fullface respirator was to protect you from inhaling the ammonia, and protecting your eyes from the vapor. Ammonia sucks to get in your eyes.

This is 3m's webpage for their NIOSH approved ammonia cartridge.

http://www.3m.com/Product/informatio...espirator.html

I don't think that you need the fullface respirator unless you plan to stand in the area for a length of time. The half mask should do fine.

Blaine, take a look at Gempler's website. Drill down Safety > Personal Protection > Respirators/filters. They carry several models of 3M equipment plus other brands. They also sell the replacement filter cartridges and a full line of parts.
    Best Regards, Ken

Thanks everybody for the responses. The Gempler site is perfect and their half-mask is about 1/10th the price of the full mask. Sealing the eyes isn't too much of a problem I don't think.

I've already started building the tent for this, but hadn't thought about putting on a hinged door. That should be pretty easy. I'm making this so it can be knocked down because there are a few pieces that I intend to make and fume. I'd planned to use tape to seal it.

Thanks, too for the tip on notifying the police. There's beginning to be a presence of meth labs in my area, so the cops are on the lookout.

Blaine

13. Source for Ammonia?

Blaine,

Can I ask where you found the 29.5% ammonia?

I've been looking to try fuming with a small project, but have had a difficult time sourcing the ammonia.

FWIW - certainly does not address the original question of which respirator but Jeff Jewitt has an article in FWW (I forget the number) where he discusses a way to achieve the same effect with a dye-stain mixture.

For my money, I might be inclined to take a look at this before I went down the ammonia road.

Edit: Found this on Homestead

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...ission_oak.htm
    Last edited by Larry Fox; 10-13-2006 at 9:53 AM.

ammonia source

Ted, I found 26% anmminia at the local blueprint company. It was used, and it was free. They needed to get rid of it. It has worked fine. When I talked to them on the phone they said they would need some I.D. Again the meth angle.