Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Drawer Shaker Side Table

Again!

martin,
    I just responded to another more recent posting you did and then found this one. Ditto what I said on the first, and I echo all of the comments here. You are really turning out some heirlooms.

Great job! I really appreciate your dedication to the Shaker style.

Best wishes,
    Warren

Ah....thanks for posting this one! This is really close to what I want to make for our master bedroom. We both need two drawers to "survive".

Great job on this one, too, Martin! Outstanding work...as expected from you!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John M. Cioffi
    Martin,

Another great job. You give Shaker a whole new meaning. Beautiful piece.How are the drawers installed? On runners or do they just slide in? How did you keep them from tipping,when fully opened?
    Thanks for sharing.
    John
    Hi John, please check out this post, that I made under another thread. The pics are of my single drawer table, but the concept is the same.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45464

I do not use metal guides unless I am making shop cabinets, so the drawers are on wooden rails. The rail above keeps the drawer from tilting, but you need to install a drawer stop to keep from pulling the drawer all the way out and spilling the contents on the floor (DAMHIKT).

Don, the dog is a fairly unknown breed. I saw one on a train once in Calgary, and had to ask 3 times what breed it was to make sure I remembered. I wanted a lab, my wife wanted a long haired dachshund, so we compromised. She is a great dog, only a year and a half old, she still has lots and lots of energy. She is good with kids, sits, stays, lays down, rolls over, shakes with both paws, but prefers tug of war to actually "giving" her retrieve back. I have wanted to take her hunting, but missed out on dove season due to work. The kids love her and so do we.

Roy and John S.: the cove is purely decorative. Kelly says it "lightens the look" of the drawer front. I told about how to make it here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45434

Scroll down to the post where I answer questions.

Jim, you can see on this one I used horizontal drawer guides and I like the look much better.

Jason, the next iteration will have a shallower top drawer, as you suggested in the design thread a long time ago.

Keel, Kirk, Mark, Alain, John R., Corey, Jason, Warren, and Jim. Your kind remarks are sincerely appreciated. There are so many talented woodworkers on this board with skills far superior to mine, so your kind words encourage me to keep at it and slowly improve my skills so that one day I may be worthy of your praise.
    Last edited by Martin Shupe; 11-06-2006 at 2:31 PM.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Great job. Similar to tables I am going to make for son to with the bed I am currently working on. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Jason, the next iteration will have a shallower top drawer, as you suggested in the design thread a long time ago.
    Oops. Sorry Martin. I didn't mean to repeat myself. I didn't remember saying that. At least I'm consistent