Thread: Introduction and a few pens

Introduction and a few pens

I heard about the Freedom Pens project and came to check the Creek out. Seems like a great bunch! Computer Nerd by trade, wood mangler by choice. Here are a few pics of some of my recent work.

1. The first was a challenge from the local Woodcraft manager. He said I always turned exotics, and handed me a walnut dowel and said I had to use it and only one other 'normal' wood.
    2. The second was a challenge to myself to make a wood pen similiar to a nice metal pen I saw. Yes, the lower tube is recessed into the top, and no the angle is not straight, but curved.
    3. This is the CUSA Gent jr I made for my Father while he was here over the holidays. It is Amboyna Burl and Real Ivory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris 'Digger' Johnson
    "If you work hard enough and long enough to make something "idiot-proof", rest assured that someone will build a better idiot!"

Digger,

These are just tremendously attractive pens. I am awed and humbled. You are clearly a pen artiste. I can hardly wait to see what you dream up for the troops overseas!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Very Nice looking Pens. I think the walnut dowel is really cool. Thanks for Sharing

Very nice Digger! Welcome!

Beautiful work ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 'Digger' Johnson
    [*]This is the CUSA Gent jr I made for my Father while he was here over the holidays. It is Amboyna Burl and Real Ivory.[/list]
    What type of Ivory did you use? I have a lot of pieces of pre-ban elephant ivory I've done laminating and inlay with. I really like the look on your pens, especially the "personal" touches. Excellent! Welcome and keep posting picts!
    Thanks, Ron

Wow!....those are great pens with some unique features. Welcome to the 'Creek and feel free to post more pictures! Very inspriing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chris,

I have always thought making pens would be fun and the lathe probably would not take up too much room, but then I always figured that after the first 10-20 pens it would get very repetitive. Just different colored wood.

Man have you turned my thoughts around!! What gorgeous pens.

Maybe after I learn the other 10,000 woodworking skills with the new tools I own I'll delve into this aspect as well.

I've always had a soft spot for nice pents. All I can say is "Awesome".

That would be elephant ivory, and thanks everyone, for the kind words. If you want to see more...all ya gots to do is ask!

Here is a lanyard pen made from stabilized black oak burl with Bethlehem olive wood accents. This was made from a detachable keyring kit and a Father Sing pen kit. The extra pieces from these kits and the angle euro above, made another poen and keyring. It hangs daily around the neck of my favorite mail lady who gets my wood packages for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
    What type of Ivory did you use? I have a lot of pieces of pre-ban elephant ivory I've done laminating and inlay with. I really like the look on your pens, especially the "personal" touches. Excellent! Welcome and keep posting picts!
    Last edited by Chris Johnson; 01-21-2004 at 11:17 PM.
    Chris 'Digger' Johnson
    "If you work hard enough and long enough to make something "idiot-proof", rest assured that someone will build a better idiot!"

Well never let it be said that I can't inspire people to 'need' to buy new tools! Here is another pic. Jump on in, if you run out of pen turning ideas, let me know and I'll challenge you, like others challenge me.

This is a simple WC Classic American Rollerball made with Thuya Burl, Maranjimba and guitar pick guard from a very used Fender Stratocaster. I am currently working on a 'North Pole' calligraphy fountain pen for Santa. This particular Santa lives in Alaska, and sent 7000!!! letters from Santa this year to kids all ove the world. It was funded out of his own pocket. The pen is designed to look like a real north pole, having red and white diagonal stripes with snow covered top of the pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory
    Chris,
    Maybe after I learn the other 10,000 woodworking skills with the new tools I own I'll delve into this aspect as well.

I've always had a soft spot for nice pents. All I can say is "Awesome".
    Chris 'Digger' Johnson

exceptional on all counts ... although it really rubs me the wrong way to hear about someone cutting up a Strat. For SHAME.

b (guitar wonk)

Digger,

Welcome. You got it right, this is a great group. Your pens look wonderful! Of all that you've shown, I think the Amboyna Burl and Real Ivory pen really stands out. That is a fine looking pen! I'm sure your father treasures it. Thanks for sharing. Jason

Read it again, it was only a piece of the pick guard. The guard was all scratched up and the guy wanted a replacement, and I got to use the old one for the banding in the pen. I still have quite a bit more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schafer
    exceptional on all counts ... although it really rubs me the wrong way to hear about someone cutting up a Strat. For SHAME.

b (guitar wonk)
    Chris 'Digger' Johnson