Thread: Panel Saw? good or bad?

Panel Saw? good or bad?

Hello All,

I have a opportunity to pick up a panel saw really cheap.. Will I need one later on? It will cut 4x8 sheets. I suppose I could open a cabinet shop now::

Ben
    Still trying not to Take Life so Seriously !!

I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Not all panel saws are created equal, and not all remain equal after years of abuse in a commercial shop.

The beauty of a panel saw is precise cuts...straight and at the exact right angle to the edge it is lying on. I would check that very closely to be sure it is really a bargain. Easiest check is to cut a panel, then "fold" it at the cut and see if the cut edges of the two pieces are even.

Guided circular saw as an option...

Ben,

One downside of panel saws is that they take up a lot of space. If you have it, that's great. If not, you might want to consider a circular + rail.

Check out the link in Bart's post. The thread discusses panel saws and edge guides.

I use a Festool TS55 + guide rail + pink foam insullation. Flop two pieces of 1" X 2' X 8' insullation on the floor, throw down the panel, place the rail and cut. It's very easy and very accurate.

If you have a circular saw that you like, you can get edge guide from Hartville tool. They carry the Red-line Cutting Guide (rated best buy in a recent Fine Woodworking edge guide shoot-off, with Festool guided rated best overall), the EZ Smart Guide, and another clamp/guide. Go to the main page and click "Edge Guides".

Good luck with your decision.

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Does it say "Striebig" on it anywhere??