Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Advertiser Free Sawmill Creek - Vote Now!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Mitchell
    I for one would rather see it free of ads. I get enough spam in my mail without comeing to my leasure place and seeing more. There is enough ppl in here that can be far greater help to another member and give a hands on about a tool without all the hype. To me this room is for woodworkers talking to woodworkers and should remain that way.
    Reg
    I'm with Reg....I too get enough spam to feed the whole family I say leave it up to the people that run the SMC. If they need it to keep up with the changing needs, then so be it!!!
    Bigger is better, too much is just right!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Dan,

There are lots of projects, software and hardware that we could use here at SMC. A new server is in our future since the existing machine is 3 years old. Our System Administrator wants to add a second server and split our network load to improve performance during peak usage periods. Currently neither server is in our budget. We have an emergency fund that we will use to repair our existing server this year if a new server isn't funded. It would be prudent for us to replace our servers battery backup soon, the existing battery backup is a hand me down from Hampton Roads Online and the batteries are weak and only last about 15 minutes these days.

There are a number of vBulletin add-ons that would be very useful here. Aaron Koehl showed me a few that he would like to add which would add nice features to our existing software. I don't spend much time window shopping for software, when it isn't in our budget.

Recently several Members inquired about the possibility of restoring our chat server. A new chat server is possible as soon as Aaron upgrades vBulletin and a couple other operating system support programs. The vBulletin upgrade is in the neighborhood of $160.00. The chat software is free and the operating system upgrades are free but it will require some time and a system shutdown for Aaron to install and configure all the software.

Many of our Members know that Aaron Koehl is capable of programing custom software and could create modules for SMC. Although it would be nice to have slick features that no other woodworking forum has it is unreasonable to ask Aaron to provide custom programing for free. The very small fee Aaron receives each month barely covers his time to manage our server and forum software. I mentioned that Aaron and I were planning to create a new ShopTours module recently that would be very popular because woodworkers could build their own shop tour with an integrated database. This project is currently on the shelf, many of our Members hated the concept because we would have used advertising to support the programing and operational costs. If we decide to move forward on the ShopTours project in the future it will be a separate business venture for Aaron and myself and not associated with SMC in any way.

Keith---Has this been explained before, in a way such that everyone would be likely to see it? If not, maybe there would be a way of doing so before time runs out, especially if the "new features" could be described as well. The extent of advertising should be described as well, just a banner in the blank spot vs. blinking doodads and other assorted whatnots. Change is difficult for a lot of folks, and to ask this of people, it is best to make the options as clear as possible, otherwise many will envision the worst possible outcome. I would recommend creating a very detailed proposal to put before the members, spelling out all of the advantages of advertising, all of the benefits that would make available, and detail exactly how that would change the look (how invasive/extensive) the advertising would be. I think that's the only way to get a good vote on this, people need to be able to make their own cost vs. benefit assessment before voting.

Do you have any thoughts about my other concern, that of advertisiers wanting to exert some control of content, such as negative reviews of their products?

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 11-27-2006 at 2:56 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott Cameron
    I am a nobody on this forum. RARELY post , infrequently browse. I get the impression that this place is a " Country Club " . If you keep it 'user-supported' the people who have the "contributor stamp" under their name will eventually start feeling that they 'own' the place. It is just a simple fact of human nature. Eventually the "BIG" contributors will start using their contribution $$$ to try to leverage their opinions on how things "should" be done and how the forum runs...

If this site does decide to be strictly user supported , then there needs to be a cap on how much each person can contribute to eliminate the possibility of people using their $$$ to influence things. Don't say it won't happen because you know it WILL ! Human nature. you can't change it.

Elliott
    I couldn't disagree more with these statements.

-Linc

Dan,

Should we ever decide to use Google Ads the advertisers wouldn't have a direct association with SMC and thus no influence on the content of our Forums. When direct advertising is used there is a close relationship that has to be protected or suffer a loss in financial support. Prior to the system that Google uses advertising would have been detrimental to our ability to openly discuss certain issues. Google offers an alternative that provides a rotating advertisement based on keywords providing ads that are relevant to woodworking subjects.

I have seen sites that use Google ads that are text based links and those who use small graphics. Our System Administrator has researched the possibility in the past and would be able to provide more information about how it works and how he would implement any graphics. Our Fund Drive is almost over and we have already received enough donations to continue as a Members Supported Community for our second year so there isn't any sense of emergency now. We have plenty of time to discuss whether our Members prefer to expand the Creek or keep things exactly as it is at the present time. We hope that donations will continue to be made so we are able to at least build a second server this year.

I have a few comments and suggestions, largely based on observations of another very well run site (rennlist.com) I am a member of. Rennlist is a little larger than SMC but consists of members equally passionate about their hobby (cars). Member dues are a little higher ($16-18/yr) and provide a few additional benefits (access to certain forums, posting and viewing pictures. classified ads etc). No pressure from Administrator or moderators to join, however, there can be pressure from individual members. I believe the % of paid members is higher than SMC.

No fund drives at rennlist. I think in general the decision to join a group is a personal one and often triggered by some particularly helpful bit of advice. This can come at any time of the year. Once a member joins they can be sent an annual renewal notice. There are usually enough incentives or reminders during the year to encourage users to sign up as members.

I would replace the 'xxxx contributor' notation with a simple member designation. I am not sure why you want to continue to provide member benefits to a 2005 or 2006 contributor.

In addition to direct member support rennlist also has a number (approx 70) of commercial sponsors. Sponsors have some limited ability to post once in a while about their products and have an ad banner rotated through certain forum boards. I had never noticed any banner ads, however I started looking when I noticed the issues SMC was struggling with. Some of the forums have an ad banner (http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...splay.php?f=58) and some don't (http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...splay.php?f=59).

I think for users to make an informed 'vote' on whether or not they want any commercial interests supporting SMC it is necessary to clearly define the scope of what commercial sponsorship entails. Clearly, there are many examples of offensive and annoying ads which I understand everyone would prefer not to see. On the other hand I believe I have provided an example above of an innocuous ad and have trouble believing it would seriously detract from anyone's enjoyment of this site.

My final suggestion would be to not consider the sponsorship decision to be an either/or one but rather consider having both. Member support could provide the base essentials to run the site with the commercial sponsors funding some of the 'nice to have' features. If you find yourself with too much money you could always sponsor some high school woodworking initiatives...

Thanks Greg. Those are well stated suggestions. Until last year we didn't have a fund drive. But our numbers have doubled and we needed to do something. We've always tried to keep the site open to all, both members and guests. Until recently, we were able to provide full access to both. That's one of the things that make SMC unique. We, still, are providing access to guests, but we had to cut back on providing access to pictures because it was slowing us down. After the fund drive, we are going to have some discussions about how to continue with the funding. Hope you can join it at that time.

Thanks,

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk
    I am not sure why you want to continue to provide member benefits to a 2005 or 2006 contributor.
    This one I can answer...at that point in time, many contributors gave more than the suggested $6 per year. Some gave hundreds. We feel that counts when it comes to the few small extra benefits that financial contributors have access to.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    This one I can answer...at that point in time, many contributors gave more than the suggested $6 per year. Some gave hundreds. We feel that counts when it comes to the few small extra benefits that financial contributors have access to.
    If someone gives more than the annual membership then they should naturally receive membership for multiple years. For substantial contributions (financial or otherwise) you can add another designation for 'lifetime member'.

I think it is good to instill the notion of an annual membership that needs to be renewed each year.

I also think the $6/yr contribution should be raised. For most contributors on the board it is unlikely to be a deciding factor whether or not they join. If the annual membership rates are increased it would also allow you to provide a usable set of features for those who weren't in a position to contribute or didn't use the site enough to justify membership.

Greg

I hear you, Greg. But keep in mind that the $6 is a "suggested annual donation", not a membership "fee". Most folks who donate send multiples of that. SMC registration is free. Access to almost everything at SMC is free. (the downloads in the new plans forum the one major exception...it's a carrot...) Will this ultimately work long term? I don't know. But as Keith has pointed out, SMC is a "valuable market", so if we have to go to Google Ads at some point, we can adapt. That doesn't look like it's going to be necessary for now.

BTW, in order to keep track of things on a more formal bases, Aaron would need to write more code. We have more important needs to use up his copious free time... ...and so does his lady friend...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I found this site in may, when due to illiness I had to take a leave of work.
    I sorry to say I really don't have the six bucks this year ,but be sure I will give in future years when times are better. That being said I like the site being ad free, once you start you start with small ads I guarentee it will turn into more until its to much. AARON

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Black
    I found this site in may, when due to illiness I had to take a leave of work.
    I sorry to say I really don't have the six bucks this year ,but be sure I will give in future years when times are better. That being said I like the site being ad free, once you start you start with small ads I guarentee it will turn into more until its to much. AARON
    Aaron,

You take care of yourself - we got you covered. Thanks for your support.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.