Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A big Oops

1. Ooops!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Todd,
    No matter what you do to fix the door, you will always know what happened. And if you are anything like me, when you are showing your masterpiece to a visitor you will explain to them what you did. If you have a creative fix for this, like the several things that have already been suggested, it will actually add to the quality of craftsmanship you have achieved with it and make the piece even more special to you and whomever gets to use it. So, I say celebrate this mistake, but also learn from it so that this door will always be a one of a kind.
    Hi Larry:

Nicely stated!!!......and you brought it home by making Todds project a one-of-a-kind.

Kings to you Larry...(from the Count of Monte Cristo)

Neil

Todd,
    I think that the approach outlined by Neil would be the most suitable... inlay a band all around all of the inside. A secondary inlay like he describes would serve to dress it up, and I think that this when completed would look like it belongs.

Thanks all!

All I can say is wow. What a great group- Lots of words of encouragement and creative solutions.

I really like the idea of the band inlay, that will go all the way around the perimeter. I've got to think about what would go with the piece, and not distract too much from the 18th century roots, or the crotch figure in the panel. Maybe a simple wenge band? A friend of mine did a kitchen in koa, and used wenge accents.

So I've got some thinking to do. Again, thanks! I sure am glad that I decided to join this group.

Todd

Beautiful wood!!
    Jerry

If the door stock is thick enough you can carefully join around the whole door frame removing the thickness of the mortise. That should save the door. Otherwise I would build a new door. Good Luck. Don't beat yourself up on this one. We all have been there. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Foggia
    If the door stock is thick enough you can carefully join around the whole door frame removing the thickness of the mortise. That should save the door. Otherwise I would build a new door. Good Luck. Don't beat yourself up on this one. We all have been there. Joe
    Thanks for the idea, Joe. I was thinking about that too, or possibly route a shape on it. I also have the 6 drilled holes, which I could try to fill.

After a little initial panic, I'm not too worried about it. I think I can salvage it. If the inlay solution doesn't look good enough, I'll just build a new door.

Happy Holidays.

Todd