Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop tour # 8 Sliding Table Saw

Shop tour # 8 Sliding Table Saw

good evening fellow ww's

I have been using the "tecnomax 315 ws " ( mini max / scmi's new beefy machines that are heavier than the older 315's ) sliding table saw for about 9 months now and really love it.

This is my 4th table saw and maybe my last . Previous to this I owned a 10" unisaw ( jet version that was very nice ), a Rockwell 16" RT-40 table saw ( 7.5 hp monster saw) and finally an Oliver 260 D twin 5 hp direct drive 16" table saw ( this saw has 2 - 16" blades each with their own motor - very cool indeed ) with a sliding table.

I spent a long time researching and driving all over the north east looking at saws prior to buying the tecnomax. I visited showrooms and actual cabinetmakers who make a living day in and day out with these saws. I almost bought an older martin slider, had the bank check in hand and walked away from the deal. I also almost bought a Northfield # 4 slider ( about an hour away from shaking hands ) and backed out. I also chased a wadkin pk slider for some time and finally walked away from that as well. I also looked at the "competition" from Austria which has many fine features, but in the end I chose the Italian machine for a variety of reasons. I actually spent so many hours checking out the competition that the showroom manager commented "what the heck is that guy doing ?" I am an engineer and design and build all types of machines for a living, so I have a pretty good eye for design. The tecnomax 315 ws is a pretty well designed saw for the money. One could argue that all of these machine are way over priced for what they do, but them's the facts.

For those who are new here at SMC I have provided the links to all of my other tours, which I think some might find useful as they build their shops.

Shop tour # 1 Main building
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17821

#2 Lumber storage building
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17916

#3 Monster lathe
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18192

#4 Work benches
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18204

#6A 16" Table Saw
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18645

#6B 16" Jointer
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18836

#6c Rare Radial Arm Drill press
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18970

#7A 37" timesavers wide belt sander
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19201

#7B 24" planer
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19463

#7C 36" direct drive 3000 lb band saw
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19846

Ok on with the slider photos. I have chosen to take a bunch of photos of this machine because both the Italians and the Austrians don't really show you what is under the hood in their literature for what ever reason.

stats :
    9 hp - 3 phase main motor
    0.75 hp - 3 phase scoring motor
    8.5 foot slider with out rigger and separate miter fence
    ~1700 lbs
    12" blade with 1" arbor hole
    dove tail ways for raise / lower
    Tilt via acme thread & dial indicator read-out
    traditional trunnion design, not cantilevered or pillow block
    full blade dust flask design
    true riving knife
    rack and pinion fence with removable aluminum extrusion

I build almost exclusively 18th century American furniture using solid wood for the most part. I really wondered if a slider was appropriate for that type of work. I worried that this saw would be awkward to use. Some told me of a steep learning curve. What I found is that sliders are very natural to use and the learning curve for me was about 2 weeks. I would never, never go back to a unisaw type machine. A slider is so accurate and can do things that used to be very difficult on a traditional CS with great ease. You will notice a door on my slider in some of the photos. This particular door is ~ 250 years old and is part of a restoration that I am still doing on my home. This door will end up having no square corners with I am done fitting it to the weird opening in my house. It is extremely easy to do this type of surgery on a slider and much harder and somewhat dangerous to do it on a cabinet saw. This is just one example of the versatility of the slider. I could list many others.
    Please enjoy the photos and ask questions
    thanks for looking
    Lou
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lou sansone; 12-16-2006 at 5:59 PM.

here are some detail photos
    the motor and the dust collection

here are some photos showing the crosscut and the separate miter fence which is just the greatest thing for solid wood
    Last edited by lou sansone; 12-16-2006 at 5:55 PM.

One word only Lou.... SWEEEEEEEET....

just a few more for completeness

Very nice saw Lou, I like the new technomax saws, great shop also.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Lou, you have one of the nicest, most complete shops that I have ever seen.
    Just wondering if the 315 feels a little intimidated by all the old iron that it shares space with.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

That looks like one sweet machine, Lou. I've been impressed how MM has continued to refine their machines- yours looks very capable.

I owned it's little brother, the SC4-WS 8-1/2', which I don't think they make any more. It had the same slider and frame as the old S315, but without the trunnion and seperate scoring motor. The S315 had a nicer crosscut fence and flip stops as well. Never the less, that SC4 was a fine machine. If they've further improved the S315 with the Technomax model, all the better.

I agree that the S315 is the best machine for the money, especially at the sale price.

I've got one of those austrian machines that you mentioned (my 3rd and also my last table saw ), which is a pretty remarkable machine as well. It has been flawless for the 2-1/2 years I've owned it.

I am hopeful that Jim Becker will soon join the slider fraternity, too. Just awaiting his gloat, any minute now...

Todd

Congats Lou!! You DA Man!!

Does the saw have a digital readout on the blade height?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Solomon
    That looks like one sweet machine, Lou. I've been impressed how MM has continued to refine their machines- yours looks very capable.

I owned it's little brother, the SC4-WS 8-1/2', which I don't think they make any more. It had the same slider and frame as the old S315, but without the trunnion and separate scoring motor. The S315 had a nicer crosscut fence and flip stops as well. Never the less, that SC4 was a fine machine. If they've further improved the S315 with the Technomax model, all the better.

I agree that the S315 is the best machine for the money, especially at the sale price.

I've got one of those Austrian machines that you mentioned (my 3rd and also my last table saw ), which is a pretty remarkable machine as well. It has been flawless for the 2-1/2 years I've owned it.

I am hopeful that Jim Becker will soon join the slider fraternity, too. Just awaiting his gloat, any minute now...

Todd
    hi Todd
    The Austrian machines have some refinements that I wish the Italians had. I do think their cross cut extrusions are better than the Italian machines. This is one area that scmi should really work on. The other area that should be looked at is the slider ledge. The Austrian machines have it in the 700 series and up, but you have to go to the 400 series in the scmi line before they introduce it. I have gotten use to the t slot on the side the the slider and it is really not that big of a deal, but again, if I wanted to cover all the bases from a business standpoint, I would think about changing the slider profile to include the ledge on the 315 and larger saws. Austrian or Italian, the most dramatic improvement in sawing technology is the European slider concept.
    Lou

Fabulous, Lou, thanks for sharing the detailed info and pics. Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Very nice Lou, and a belated congratulations on an awesome addition. A slider will hopefully one day be in my line up as well.

Nice Saw Lou.

I seem to like Italian myself. Maybe I will get around to posting some pics of your machines big brother.....

Greg

Thanks, Lou...great pictorial that answers a lot of questions. I just love the "contrast" between all your machines, too...a little old...a little new...a jointer that's somewhat blue...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Uh Lou, can I have 20 minutes in your wood shed and walk out with whatever I find for free? 'Course I probably couldn't carry all I would want, but I'm sure you've got some big ole cart or something that would make it easier for me.

As always, great pics. Some day maybe I'll have tools of that quality and size. I'll need a much bigger main floor shop first tho...

Thanks for posting.
    Where did I put that tape measure...