Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AZ wood ID help

Looks like Shlamaca Wood . I think John hart has expertise in that area
    Dave Fried

Speak softly and carry a large bonker.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley
    That's funny, mine smelled like popcorn. I wonder if it is the difference in the soil.
    Christopher, it's probably just the difference in cats

If that is elm, it is WAY different than the elm I am used to from my adopted home state of Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fried
    Looks like Shlamaca Wood . I think John hart has expertise in that area
    Nope. I never did finish Mark Singer's Shlamaca Identification Correspondence Klass (SICK). He's the real expert.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

No, Chris cats just didn't pee on yours

Bob

Thanks everyone I have been hasihing it out with a couple people familiar with AZ woods on another forum as well.
    I think I will call it ironwood someone can call me liar later if they want. It is hard but I do not have enough chainsaw experience to really determine how hard I would guess it as harder than the Mesquite I have cut but not by that much. The blade could have used a good sharpening after the second log section which is worse than I usually do with mesquite.
    I will probably work a trade with a local guy I know that is much more familiar with wood than me and hopefully he can cast the decideing vote.
    Mike Vickery

To me it looked too straight grained to be iron wood. I have never seen iron wood with light grey bark like that. I believe if it was iron wood, you'd need a carbide tipped chain to cut it. I got into some "old growth" mesquite last year, and with standard chains I could barely get through one cut without the chain going dull. My $0.02. I could most certainly be wrong, and certainly if it was suburban wood it could have been watered so much that it is not as dense as what one would find in the desert.

Well Mike,
    Without a .snf file it’s hard to tell. Trees grow differently in different climates, but the bark on that one doesn’t look like walnut/butternut/elm. Kinda has a hickory shag to it.
    Idonow.
    Frank

I Guess it is ironwood. I had a chance to salvage some pretty large scrapes from a man I met at a show and have enjoyed turning them. I found that after turning and sanding when I put any kind of finish on the sapwood it turned a pretty yellow with brown specks in it. It looked very light, almost white until I put Danish oil or friction polish or anything else on and the color just popped out.