Thread: Scroll Saws

Scroll Saws

Ready for your opinions and I know they will be many and informative. I looking at buying a scroll saw that will be used occasionally for many different duties. What do you recommend?
    Don

Don

I am a scroller and have to say there is alot of factors that go into picking a scrollsaw. But to give you the tops in each price catagory so you can narrow your choices. You say for occasional use so I am guessing price is an issue. In the $200 catagory and that means stay away from all $100 saws!!!!!!!!!!! The Delta SS350 is the most reliable. The next step up is the $400--$450 midrange and there are two players The Dewalt 788 which is having some issues because of shipping manufactoring overseas has created some trouble areas. They have been working them out. But if you want the saw which is a great saw look for a series #1 or it will say "Type 1" on the motor. The Type #2 are the ones with the problems. The other player in that price range is the Delta P20. Next step up is the #750 range and is only one the EX21 which is an Excallibur 21" saw. After that you get into the professional saws starting at $900 up to $1500. You have RBI, Hegner, EX30, Eclipse. Within these groups you have different sized saws so that becomes a factor in price. But with any top of the line saw you are getting a top quality saw and you will not regret it. Now you can take all the saws I mentioned and google them and you will see reviews posted but these are the top saws in each catagory. You can always go to ebay and look for one of these saws Imentioned for a resonable price. You can always find deals. Now if you want to get further into this just post your questions and help will be on the way.
    John T.

And the type 1 DeWalt has Excalibur gears and stuff in it, different case and colors.

What about a Delta 440? Are they up to the standards of the newer saws??

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Burtini
    What about a Delta 440?
    Hey! I know that young man!
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

....but it was a legitimate question. I would like to get my daughter interested in woodworking and I know she has a little interest in scroll saws. I would rather purchase an older one (and I think I have found a lead on one locally). My question is are they serious contenders given the range of saws available today?

I hate to purchase a new saw and have her turned off woodwork because on a substandard tool, yet on the other hand, I'm not sure I want to buy an Excalibur or other $1000 saw that will see very little use.

Hope I didn't offend anyone with the link to the pic - I just wasn't sure too many people know what a 440 is....

Not sure what you are asking. If you are asking about that saw well it is not made any more and if you have a lead on one and good with making parts and fixinging things when they break it is an idea. You also have to look at what size blades does it take and are they available?? Also do you have the room for such a saw.??? No one is going to be able to answer your question because they do not have that saw. If they do they do not do alot of scrolling and it is a show piece I can tell you that much so I do not know what you want to know. That type of scrolling action that is on the front is the best for no front to back motion. The Eclipse saw by Erie Mellon is the same design. You can call him and talk to him about it. With that type of scrolling head cutting is a little slower than a more agressive cutter. 24" throat is good sized saw and you will never have to worry about that saw motor burning out. Not sure if it has speed control which is necessary in scrolling. I think from the picture it looks like it does to some extent with pulleys and moving of the belt. How hard is it to do that? That is a question to ask. The Delta P20 was modeled after that principal because that is the way they change speeds. If I were having someone getting into scrolling that would not be my choice of saws by no means. Will it do the same as any other scroll saw yes with a capital YES. It will be vibration free because of shear weight and mass. What system does it use to hold blades in?? Seriously look at the Delta P20 if you want that type saw which is a 20" saw and still heavy duty but less weight and better blade clamps and takes standard 5" plain end blades that you can get anywhere and on that note may I suggest a great place to get the finest blades on the market. The Flying Dutchman blades from Mike's Workshop. www.mikesworkshop.com Good luck in your choice and tell us what you decided. If you do get this saw show us some up close pictures of the front of that saw.
    John T.

Lotta folks like the Dewalt

Count me among them, Cliff! I have a 20" DeWalt, and it does everything I ask of it--slow, fast, or in between. The best blades I have found are Artisan - available at Woodworker's Supply.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I dont mean to point out a negative and I am sure it was not intentional but why is that young man not wearing eye protection?

I am thinking it was a long time ago.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

I own and use the Dewalt 788. I like it so much I would buy another one if needed. The $100 saws you buy are not worth the money.

just to add my two pennies in here don, i too, am new to scrolling. i'd been wanting one for quite sometime, but couldnt justify a couple of hundred bucks on a tool that might be in the way or one that i might only use a couple of times a year. well, a couple of days ago i found a dremel saw on our "swap n shop" at work. picked it up for 50 bucks.
    i found out that i love scrolling, but the saw has alot to be desired. short comings evident to an amateur scroller. i'm gonna save up and get the dewalt. lots and lots of good reviews on the this saw all around.
    good scrollin!
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko
    No one is going to be able to answer your question because they do not have that saw.
    Uh, I have one. They're pretty common actually.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko
    You also have to look at what size blades does it take and are they available?? Also do you have the room for such a saw.???
    You can buy blades at the big box or wherever. It's actually pretty compact for a 24" machine. You want a big one, check out the Ollie:

My local hardwood shop just picked one up for about 500 bucks.

I too would be curious to hear from someone who has expertise with both how the venerable Delta stacks up against current machines.

Pete