Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thin Translucent Red?

Adverse affects on the laser components?

In eading the MSDS ( I am not a chemical engineer so I have to ask) it says the following-

Decomposition Products
    Carbon Monoxide, Carbon dioxide, acetic acid, water.

Now I know this is not the same acid variety that would be produced by lasering PVC, but is this of concern? Why or why not?
    Brent Vander Weil
    Epilog 35W Mini
    Graphtec CE5000-60

Acetic Acid is harmless. That is what you smell in vineger, Silicone RTV, and lots of other products.

The danger of acetic acid depends on the strength.

From Wikipedia:
    Concentrated acetic acid is corrosive and must therefore be handled with appropriate care, since it can cause skin burns, permanent eye damage, and irritation to the mucous membranes. These burns or blisters may not appear until several hours after exposure. Latex gloves offer no protection, so specially resistant gloves, such as those made of nitrile rubber, should be worn when handling the compound. Concentrated acetic acid can be ignited with some difficulty in the laboratory. It becomes a flammable risk if the ambient temperature exceeds 39 °C (102 °F), and can form explosive mixtures with air above this temperature (explosive limits: 5.4%–16%).
    The hazards of solutions of acetic acid depend on the concentration.
    Solutions at more than 25% acetic acid are handled in a fume hood because of the pungent, corrosive vapour. Dilute acetic acid, in the form of vinegar, is harmless. However, ingestion of stronger solutions is dangerous to human and animal life. It can cause severe damage to the digestive system, and a potentially lethal change in the acidity of the blood.

My guess is that it would be a low concentration. Main point is just because something is safe in one setting does not mean it is always safe.
    Tim
    A2Z CNC
    Denver, CO
    Corel X3, Photograv. Laser: Universal X2 Super Speed 2x60 watt laser tubes.

Doing some filing and sorting, and happened to come across another "maybe" from Multi-Plastics Inc.

http://www.multi-plastics.com/PDF%20files/solatuf.pdf

It is Modified acrylic avail in .020 (and more). They SAY you can choose translucent colors and they SHOW colors on the website, but the real test is asking for a quote . . .

But if they can't supply in red maybe you can process it with paint/screen print etc to convert to red or give you some tips on how to color.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Vander Weil
    In eading the MSDS ( I am not a chemical engineer so I have to ask) it says the following-

Decomposition Products
    Carbon Monoxide, Carbon dioxide, acetic acid, water.

Now I know this is not the same acid variety that would be produced by lasering PVC, but is this of concern? Why or why not?
    It's "chlor" that you have to watch out for on MSDS sheets, hydrochloric acid is what the lasering of PVC will create.

I have cut acetate before with no trouble, just haven't found anything but clear.

Richard, I'll check that source out too. Thanks.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green