Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speaker Stand Project---Finished

Gorgeous, very impressive!

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Here is a photo essay on how the doors were made. The basic design of the doors are from book called "Solid-Wood Cabinet Construction" by Franz Karg Taunton Press 1991) that was adapted to this project. This is an excellent book on contemporary designs with a Scandinavian flavor.

The doors were made from 1" (5/4) oak with spline construction. It's best to use quarter sawn oak because grain direction is an important visual feature.

The body of the entertainment unit is made from individual oak tambour strips machined on a router table and ripped with a bandsaw and fastened over 3/4" oak plywood with blind tacks and adhesive from the back. It was a somewhat tedious fabrication.

Bruce...that's a 150 gallon marine aquarium built into the wall. There is a very small service room behind it for the pumps and filters. The first aquarium sprung a leak in 2000. It got the bottom of the entertainment unit wet and caused some minor damage on the base plate of the unit.

cheers, Jeff

Which CAD program do you use?

Thank you for that info. I'm going to have to try that! By the way, wich CAD program do you use?
    Luc

Honey where did I put.....never mind I found it!

She's a beauty!

Wow! Great job. Matches your existing cabinet perfectly.

Looks to be a beautiful room. I'm also a fan of the fish tank.

One again, thanks for the kind comments.

Luc...I used an old version of AutoCAD and exported the images as TIFF picture files. The images were then inserted into MS PowerPoint where additional annotation was added. Then the PowerPoint slides were 'saved as' JPEG picture files for posting.

-Jeff

Geepers...they look like they grew there right along side of the original EC! Nice!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

WOW, and to think I was pretty proud of the end table I just completed.

The quality of work done by Saw Mill Creek members continues to amaze me. Fortunately I am also inspired.

Jonathan

Thanks for posting the door explanation, Jeffrey. Very cool! Where did the idea come from - or was it entirely your own brainchild? Either way, the results are impressive - and humbling.

Designing an Entertainment Unit has its Risks

Jesse...My brothers and I conjured up the basic design and implemented the door design from the book I discussed in the previous post above. The design was done using hand sketches, hand drawings, and full size posterboard templates. Computers were not readily available then.

I would also caution that when designing furniture for electronics, there is an inherent risk because electronics are always changing. For instance, the entertainment unit above cannot support the smallest plasma TV which is 42" due to the new widescreen format (16:9 ratio), even though the unit was built to support a 42" CRT TV in picture box format (4:3) at the time.

Also, two of the three pullout draws in the lower unit behind the flat doors were made to accomodate video tapes and cassettes. These formats are dead or dying. The third draw supports music CDs (or DVDs) which were a the "new" thing at the time. On the bright side, I can always remake the draws when it comes time to toss the tapes.

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel
    Jesse...My brothers and I conjured up the basic design and implemented the door design from the book I discussed in the previous post above.
    Ha, I guess I was so eager to check out the pictures that I scanned the text a little too quickly!