Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nova DVR-XP or Stubby S750?

Hi Bill
    I have the Nova DVR and I have a good friend who has the Stubby750and I've turned on both. I've had the Nova about two years and I turn hollow forms and bowls for fun and furniture parts and architectural pieces for customers. I have added one bed section and my spindle length is about 36" max. Low speed torque about 50 rpms is good and I have cast iron legs that help in the weight dept. The Stubby is a whole different class of lathe. Engineering wise you willnever be able to wear it out. It primarly geared torward faceplate turning but is capable of spindle work up to about 36". It is more than capable of handling big wood(100kg. and up) with little problems. All I can tell you is that if you have the money and want a lathe to last a lifetime Stubby would be my first choice and Vicmarc would be my second. Check out the user groups on line. Call Stubby in the US and ask if someone near you has their lathe and ask them every question you can think of or see if you can pay a visit and turn on their lathe. Good luck and happy turning.
    Regards
    Randy

I believe I understand your dilemma, as I have been facing the same thing. If I get the lesser cost lathe, I can take the extra money and get the extra items I will need. If I get the more expensive lathe I will have to add to it, over time, the extra items I need. If I don't get the one I really want, even though I have those extra items, I will always be wishing I had gone with the one I wanted. My decision...get what I really want and don't settle. In the long run I believe I'll be happier. Hope this helps! From one who is where you are.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate all your invaluble input.

The reason I ruled out the full size lathe like PM3520, Oneway and Vicmarc 300 is 1) those full size lathe will be very difficult to move to my basement, since my basement entry has a 90 degree turn at very top, it is almost impossible to move a long heavy item down to the basement like those full size lathe's bed, believe me I tried before; 2) my dedicate turning area is little less than half of my shop, it is about 12"x12", my new lathe will share the space with my bansaw, a work table, my delta midi, a drill press, plus wood storage, etc, the footprint of lathe is very critical, the Stubby is super in this matter, I am very impressed.

The Stubby wins my heart,I'll go for it.

Have a good night,

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Huang; 01-18-2007 at 1:14 AM.

Two different classes of machines. If you can afford the Stubby...absolutely the better choice of the two, IMHO. (I love mine!) And I went through a similar evaluation back when I was buying...actually turning on all the machines I was considering. The Stubby was the best fit for what I like to do and it's more space efficient than most machines in its class.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-18-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...