Thread: inflatable bowl sander

Blog Entries

inflatable bowl sander

Have any of you ever used an inflatable bowl sander? I just ordered one to give it a try. I'm not big on broken fingers trying to sand the inside of a bowl with a small opening.

That one from Rockler? Kirjes, is it? Got one a couple years back for goblets and boxes. Works there where little else fits, but much less effective compared to a good disk elsewhere. Expensive, too.

Try the Power-Lock disks for general sanding, and the flex edge types for medium close quarters. Work a treat and long-lasting, too. DONT sand with the regular disks unless the work is turning. They're extremely aggressive, and will gouge the daylights out of a surface if you're not careful.

I like my flex shaft and a fractional HP induction motor for quiet and effective sanding. You can rest the handpiece on the toolrest as if it were the shaft on a tool, sanding with about the same light touch as a scraper. Velcro just won't stand up the way they do.

Blog Entries
    Could you post a picture of your setup? i already ordered the rockler unit but I'm one of those tool junkies. To give you an Idea, one of my 3 tool boxes is 1 ton empty and all 3 are full. I'm a firm believer that a tool can sit for years but if you get rid of it on monday it'll be the only tool for the job come tuesday.

Not for sure, but here's a flex edge in use. Handle's on the toolrest, knuckles clear !

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...lex-Edge-2.jpg

what's a good motor/flex shaft tool to use?

George,
    What type of motor / flex shaft setup do you use? How powerfull a motor
    is needed?

A ball-bearing shaft, like the kind selling for ~$50 is what I use. Lee valley has one in their carving area, and Woodworkers' supply has one similar. Sleeve bearings have to be lubed, heat, and collect gunk. Betting a 1/4 horse is all you need, but look for old 1725 appliance motors first. If you know some old gray woodworkers, they probably have one or more in the garage. Otherwise, get one from an appliance or motor rebuild joint. I installed some equipment for the local motor guy and took one with as partial payment. Motor's quiet, of course, and the shaft is weightless compared to a drill.

Very useful for sanding a piece in your lap as well, where one hand holds the piece, one the handpiece, though I'd recommend a downdraft collector for that kind of work. I don't try to sand below a 120 look on wet pieces, because of clogs, so almost all of my warp and go stuff is sanded off the lathe.

Bill,

Aren't new tools great? Another alternative is to get some locking forceps to grip the sandpaper and reach deep into your hollow form. One of the turners in our club uses them for sanding inside hollow forms and deep boxes. Something like this is what I have in mind:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94952

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. Like I said, I'm enjoying 10 fingers and would like to continue to do so. I'll prolly try all of the above. Thanks again