Mark,

I'm an owner of The Bandsaw Book as well, and I thought it proved invaluable when I was setting up my 16" Walker Turner bandsaw. Even though I'm a novice at woodworking, I was able to get it well tuned up using your book.

But even though I'm a novice at woodworking, I do know something about research methodology. (Part of my day job is to conduct clinical medical research.) I think your Woodworker's Journal article was trying to address two separate issues, of which your tests and measurements only really addressed one.

The two issues raised in your article are: [1] does setting up a bandsaw to very high tension (>15,000 psi) affect bandsaw operations, and [2] how accurate are the meters on bandsaws and aftermarket tension gauges?

The data you've presented clearly addresses the second point. Based on your findings, I believe that there is a lot of variance when it comes to aftermarket gauge accuracy. The only thing I would add to your testing are the points Mike already made about comparing the gauges to a known outside reference. You seem to be making the assumption that the electronic Carter tension gauge is accurate due to modern technology. As a pediatrician, I can assure you that home ear temperature probes sold to parents are nowhere near as accurate as your $2 mercury thermometer, even though the ear probe is much more modern technology.

However, regarding the first point -- does increasing tension result in a better cut, or is it unnecessary -- your data so far does not address that at all. The best support for this is your reference to manufacturers recommending 15,000 psi as the tension for their blades. But I think we all know that manufacturer specs can be as accurate as aftermarket tension gauges when it comes to woodworking machine specs. In order to properly test this issue, a series of cuts need to be made at different tensions, while keeping all other parameters equal, and the results compared.

Your data supports the conclusion that aftermarket gauges can be inaccurate, and that the gauges provided on the bandsaw are at least usable for measuring blade tension in the 15,000 psi range. Your data does not support the conclusion that therefore there is no reason to tension above 15,000 psi.

On a side note, I do have a question. My Walker Turner bandsaw actually does not have a tension gauge on it at all. Is there a recommended way for setting the tension besides getting an inaccurate aftermarket gauge?