Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood storage Racks

Her is mine. 2 x 4 with laminated ply. Has worked well.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin James
    Dennis, thanks for posting that link; I've been trying to remember where I saw that rack for months. Its just the thing I need for the new shop!
    No problem Justin. Bob's old website had a lot of great stuff. His workbench info was also top notch. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures here to show you my version but it isn't too different from his. I simply added a 2 foot wide upright plywood bay at the end of the horizontal storage.

You'll really appreciate all the space if you end up building this one.
    Yes Dear, I could build that for you if I only had that new ...

i started with the lee valley hd adjustable rack system using the longer legs at 16" oc
    later i found the same system at busy bee tools for a lot less money
    i got a deal on some cherry , birch & maple so now i now have several walls with racks storing 2500 + bd ft of stickered lumber
    this system allows you to adjust legs up or down about every 2" withvarious lengths of legs available

Blog Entries
    Like several other people I liked the Lee Valley set up and then found the Home Depot version for less money and bought it. I also had some Heavy duty 1000 lb metal shelving that I put in the same room that works decently for shorter pieces and anything else heavy that I need to store.

Now that I am finally getting around to my shop renovation. I have a third option. I put Heavy Duty Store wall on several walls. It may not hold the weight that my metal rack will but it can hold what I am working with at that moment and want close. There are brackets and shelving of several types available.

I took some pictures of my shop renovation showing these items but apparently the cable to load them onto my computer is busted.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Killian
    Your local box store sells the heavy duty adjustable shelving componets. This could be done fairly simple.
    That's what I used. I got them at home depot. I forget the rating of the shelve units.. but I have four supports bolted to the walls.. I think my shelf supports are 16" wide.. I've got each level stacked roughly 1 foot high with oak, and no problems at all. Fairly inexpensive (about 100).

For the "bottom level", I put down some styrofoam sheeting and piled up the wood about 2.5 feet high. I put the longer pieces on the bottom, and the pieces that are 7-8' long on the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Bigelow
    I went the HomeDepot route myself. Fast, easy and plenty strong! Oh yea, inexpensive as well! (I'm talking about the heavy-duty stuff, of course)
    Terry, I use the "Stirling" heavy duty stuff from the 'Depot myself for a lot of my auxiliary storage up on the walls, including some board stock and nearly all my turning stock. Very strong and reasonably priced. The exact same product from some of the woodworking "stores" is priced much higher.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Pictures from my home page - you can go to it to see the associated verbage here: http://home.insightbb.com/~apmonte/WoodworkingShop.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

I made mine out of 2x4's screwed to the floor and floor joists,with wood shelves built nice and level. nott'n fancy but rock solid and cheap!

9. You might think of modifying Jim Becker's design above and making it vertical storage. I much prefer vertical storage. You don't have worry about weight. You don't have to move lots of wood to find matching boards. You can take advantage of unused places in your shop or other rooms. You can store more lumber. I can see no downside, but there are a lot of downsides to horizontal storage. That is one reason why the Japanese and others use vertical storage. The only caveat is to not store it with the ends on damp concrete.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Here's my solution. I purchased this rack (used, of course) for $40. Each shelf holds 500 pounds. Beats all the other choices hands down.
    The shelves came out of an Ace Hardware that was upgrading. It is called "gondola" shelving. (The shelves are 4 feet long--I have a double gondola shown here.) Check around for used ones--they are around.

Quote Originally Posted by John Branam
    Do you have a picture that you could post?
    John, sorry I didn't see request this until just now. I will try and venture out to the shop and get a pic. It really is nothing special though.