Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Advice Needed

Sawstop Advice Needed

I am new to this site. Found it yesterday. You guys are a tremendous wealth of info and I hope that I can return the help in the future.

I am about to pull the trigger on the Sawstop. I have read through most of the posts and realize that this is a hot topic. However, I haven't seen anything related to where to find it at the best price.

Do the dealers just always sell it at list? Are there ever promotions? What about the consumer product shows or the industrial shows? Are discounts or combo deals offered at these events for the saw?

I am also about to buy Jointech lift and porter cable 7518 router. Same questions. Best place to buy at the lowest price?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Sawstop has a fixed pricing model. Expect to pay tax and possibly shipping even if you buy locally. The pricing you see on Sawstops website is what you'll pay in a local store. I do not know if they offer show pricing and have not heard of a Sawstop promotion. I and most others paid full pop for the saw.

Unless they have changed pricing policies lately, you won't find a best price. They sell for list. You can save money by finding a local distributor and picking it up yourself vs. shipping. Can't help on the Jointech.
    ken

Joe - I own and use all the products for which you are inquiring. All are top notch. SawStop pricing is (to my knowledge) fixed. There are no sales or specials.

I have bought all my Jointech stuff directly from them. I think they have some kind of rebate offer now. There is a JT digital lift and 7518 router on e-bay right now also, but lots of bidders. Additionally, JT's owner's daughter will at times place a few of their digital lifts on e-bay usually for $329 - "Buy it Now". They come off the same shelf as if you called JT directly. In fact, she had a few there a week ago or so. If you call JT and tell them you saw the lift on e-bay and will make a purchase if you can get that price, I think there is a good chance they will do it.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Glen Blanchard; 02-15-2007 at 1:18 PM.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Joe, I just ordered a SawStop the other day. To my understanding all dealers are required to sell it at the same price. The only variable I can see is delivery cost and possibly sales tax. Woodcraft just ran a Valentine's Day special of no shipping costs (I assume this included SawStop). I didn't know that deal was coming up and ordered it the day before. My attitude is you can't wait for every last ounce to be drained out of purchasing something, I like to get on with other things. I bought mine from Brian McQuillen at Hermance Machine Co. in Williamsport, PA. (570-326-9156). I paid shipping and sales tax and I'm satisfied. They had a 5 horse unit in stock and they are one of the larger SawStop dealers.

I also have the Jointech lift with a PC 7518. Jointech only sells directly or through The Woodworking Shows. I bought mine at a show last year but frankly, the Jointech website has some very good deals from time to time. Last summer it was cheaper on the website than at the Show. Once I buy something, I don't look back. Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda. Life is too short. BTW, I'm not sure which Jointech lift you're looking at but I bought the digital lift and couldn't be happier. Really a precision instrument. Hop this helps.

Regards,

Bob

I really appreciate the advice. I am ok paying full price if that is how they go to market. I just didn't want to pay more than I needed if there was a dealer out there cutting deals.

Thanks for also confirming for me that the setup with the lift is a good one. You guys are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Michaels
    Jointech only sells directly or through The Woodworking Shows.
    Bob - Actually JT is now selling some of their stuff through Woodcraft and Rockler. I think they have changed their marketing strategy recently - although they still sell direct.
    Regards,

Glen

The pricing is fixed, BUT, try to get the dealer to throw in something like a sawblade or some supplies or something.
    BTW, fixed pricing is illegal, but my guess is that dealers do not have an unlimited supply and therefore are not needing to discount the saw. If production ever exceeds demand then you may be able to haggle on the price.
    Sawstop should stop selling direct and let their dealers price products at their discretion.

SawStop no longer sells direct.
    Regards,

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard
    Bob - Actually JT is now selling some of their stuff through Woodcraft and Rockler. I think they have changed their marketing strategy recently - although they still sell direct.

Thanks for the update Glenn.

Rock & Roll

Joe, with a name like "Joe Walsh" I thought someone would ask if you sing and play guitar. Guess there's not many old time rockers here or maybe your post just hasn't been up long enough for many to see it. I looked over the Saw Stop in Orlando at Woodcraft on vacation a couple of weeks ago and if you can afford it, go for it. Although they were'nt around at the time wish I could have been using one 13 years ago when I cut off two fingers working in a cabinet shop. I love my Grizz but there's a lot to be said for the Saw Stop. One second of carelessness can cost more than the saw- in more ways than one! Welcome to the Creek!

Blog Entries
    I'm sure Joe's gotten plenty of flack over the name similarity. Just check out my sign-off ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Like everybody said fixed price.
    My dealer however didn't charge me for lift gate delivery from his store to my garage, and he uncrated the saw and installed it on the mobile base I bought.

14. Glen, when did they change this? Did you buy yours from a dealer, or SawStop?

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard
    SawStop no longer sells direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Anderson
    Glen, when did they change this? Did you buy yours from a dealer, or SawStop?
    Bought mine from Woodcraft. Not sure when they stopped selling direct. You can still buy things like brake cartridges from them directly - but not the saw.
    Regards,

Glen