Thread: My first tool gloat!

Talking My first tool gloat!

I just got my Bosch 1617 EVSPK w/ accessory pack. It's beautiful. Unfortunately, the bit kit I ordered isn't in yet, so no testing it out just yet.

I was a little disappointed with the manual as it didn't explain much, especially one certain piece, a small plastic "bit". It has a 1/4 shank and just has a circular plastic disk with four small slots in it at 0, 90, 180, 270. (1) Any thoughts on what this is?

I'm also a little confused on how I am to use templates.

What a day! (2) Any recommendations on reading that will help me get acquainted with my router?

I've got several projects just waiting, I've got about 4-5 canoe paddle holder designs I've been waiting to work on.

I also just got my first issue of Shopnotes and Woodsmith too!

L

As other SMC folks will echo, if there are no pictures, you can only claim a "stealth gloat" which is questionable at best.
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

Well then:

Ok ok, this isn't actually mine. But I will take a picture soon, I've been meaning to post some pictures of my "shop" as well. More to come later!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke McFadden
    ...a small plastic "bit". It has a 1/4 shank and just has a circular plastic disk with four small slots in it at 0, 90, 180, 270. (1) Any thoughts on what this is?
    The only thing that comes to mind is a centering cone.

That's cheating... you linked to mytoolstore.com ;-)
    Last edited by Alex Berkovsky; 02-21-2007 at 3:18 PM.

Can't help on the plastic part, but "Woodworking With The Router" by Bill Hlyton is a great router book. Make sure you get the newly revised edition and you will be all set.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thanks for the tip. I didn't think the accessory kit came with a manual, but it actually did, but my son (2.5) borrowed it. The plastic piece I'm refering to is for the edge guide, it makes it a circle guide! Sorry for my ignorance...

I'm getting Pat Warner's video on routers in a few weeks, got it on loan through the universities library.

L
    Last edited by Luke McFadden; 02-21-2007 at 4:38 PM.

The circular plastic disc with the 4 notches is supposed to be used to convert the edge guide into a circle jig. You will find a hole in the edge guide that the shaft on the plastic disc fits. The idea is that you make a cross at the center of the circle that you want to work with. Then you align the 4 slits in the disc with the marks you made and tape the disc to the material. Put the edge guide over the shaft of the plastic disc and rout your circle. I have one and have never used it. Love the router though.